Do You Still Get Signal Drop With A Case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by wrkactjob, Aug 4, 2010.

1. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Even though you now have leather or rubber between you and the Seam Bridge do you still get signal drop or has the case cured it?

Interested to know if some cases are more effective than others, or is rubber/silicon more effective than say leather?

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

It all depends on signal strength wherever you are. That's it.

When I'm at work, I have 5 bars, and apparently it's a very solid 5 bars, cause I can death grip it all I want, tight as I want, covering the whole thing, and I can't lose any bars. It stays a strong and solid 5, with no fluctuation whatsoever.

At home, I normally sit right around 4 bars. But if I death grip it naked, it drops to around 2 bars, or if I wait long enough, it'll hit 1 bar, but never lower than that.

With my case on, I don't see any difference either way. I can't notice any bar loss.

I'd say any case, regardless of material does the same job of getting your hands off the antenna, and off that infamous bridge between the two on the bottom left.

3. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I can say that plastic, silicone and TPU all isolate you from the antenna problem.

I would assume any case would but it seems that skins either do nothing or only partially help the problem from what I've read.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

In my experience, using either a Bumper or an el cheapo TPU bumper completely solves the problem. In my bedroom I can always - without exception - get my naked iPhone 4 to drop from five bars to "No Service" while checking email or browsing, holding the phone in my left hand the way I always have. With either of the bumpers I've got on the phone, even a kung fu Death Grip doesn't drop me down that far - at most, I lose one or two bars. In normal use, no loss.

So to reiterate: no bumper, normal holding of phone = "No Service." With bumper, normal holding of phone = no loss of signal.

Attenuation, my a$$. :rolleyes:

5. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Yeah, it's obvious there is a lot more going on then attenuation. You still experience attenuation with a case on. A case does nothing for attenuation...but it does wonders for not detuning the antenna's.

6. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

With my apple bumper on, I can still get it to drop a little if I really deathgrip it. Put the corner right in my left hand against the fleshy area right below the thumb. It will drop a bar, maybe two if I am in a bad signal already. In good areas it does not always do it. Take the bumper off and of course it only takes a light touch on the seam to do it and it is much more pronounced.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't see the signal loss with my case on.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Otherwise known as "Steve Jobs and the Art of Misdirection." ;)

9. Hennesie2000 macrumors 68000

Can you still make calls and browse the net? If so does a drop of one or two bars really matter. I never dropped a call without a case or with one and I only get 2-3 bars at my house. If you watched your bars all day you would notice on any cell phone that the bars drop and come back constantly with the phone just sitting on a table.

10. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

...and here is my video answering those who specifically say what you have said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbRkOHI2deo&hd=1