Do you still have a Pre-Retina Glossy MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Merkava_4, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Is the screen that bad? People are telling me there's a night and day difference between the pre-Retina and the current Retina screen in terms of clarity. Also, I keep my MBP on a side table next to a lamp. I was wondering if I would see a reflection of the lamp if I was using a glossy screen MBP. My current MBP is a 2007 pre-Unibody MBP with the matte screen. I get no glare at all with it and the lamp is never in the screen.

2. caramelpolice macrumors regular

The screen is bad by modern MBP standards, but still an upgrade from a 2007 pre-unibody model. You will absolutely get much more glare than you're used to, though.

They made the unibody 15" and 17" Pros with a matte screen prior to the Retina refresh, if you're looking for an older model to buy used.

3. maculateConception macrumors regular

maculateConception

I can't compare because I've never seen a retina screen (or don't remember) but I have a mid-2009 MBP with a "glossy" screen and I LOVE IT !

So, no, it ain't bad at all. No complaints here :)

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The reflectivity of the pre-Retina glossy screens can be noticeable if they're put next to a light source, especially on darker screens or with the brightness turned down. In the Retina models Apple did bump up the display quality considerably, and also added the anti-reflective coating which helps a bit to cut down on reflections. Still worse than a matte screen with reflections, but the improved display quality definitely makes up for that.

5. Sterkenburg macrumors member

I have been using that screen (17" version) for 7.5 years before finally upgrading and loved it as well, back in the day it was absolutely gorgeous. That said, the glare was very noticeable and the latest Retina screens are a huge improvement in comparison.

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Still using a 13" 2011 with glossy screen. Great machine. Have tried the retina in Apple store and don't see much difference. Maybe eye sight problem? But I don't need/wear glasses. lol

7. doublesupercool macrumors newbie

It's pretty glossy. Early 2011 15" here. I am using it in a bright teachers room at the moment (windows behind me) and have to constantly juggle to see stuff in Photoshop. I had the 17" HD non-glossy before this one and wasn't too happy about the upgrade.

Oh well. This one has suddenly started crashing (about 20 times in the last week), so it is time to buy a new one.

8. robvas macrumors 68020

The low-resolution and the color washout is worse than the gloss IMO

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote:
    "My current MBP is a 2007 pre-Unibody MBP with the matte screen. I get no glare at all with it and the lamp is never in the screen."

You have a 10-year-old Macbook.
    The screen will make little difference.
    The new internals will make a BIG difference.
    It's time for something new... ;)

10. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I have a Mid-2012 15" non-retina with the high-res glossy screen. I can sit outside in the evening, facing West and still read text on the screen, though reflection of me in the screen is sometimes an issue.