Do you still keep the paper between the screen and the keyboard in your 2017 MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by netdudeuk, May 21, 2018.

1. netdudeuk macrumors 6502

I'm still using mine because I don't want to risk the keys marking the display.

I think that I read on here that it had happened to someone else …

What does anyone else do ?

2. robvas macrumors 68030

No. What do you do with the paper while you are using the computer?

3. netdudeuk thread starter macrumors 6502

I put it in the sleeve. Yes, what a pain :) And then it's a pain to keep in place while I close the machine ;)

4. BananaX macrumors regular

BananaX

I still have it. So, when I am about to list my MBP on eBay, I can take some nice pics with that paper. :cool:

5. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

It can get dust stuck in it, which can in turn scratch up your display. Unless you have a rubber keyboard cover (which are not recommended), your keys won't touch the display at all.

6. netdudeuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't I read somewhere on MacRumors that putting the machine into a bag without something between the screen and the keyboard has resulted in the screen being pressed against the keyboard ?

7. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

Could happen if it is squashed - there is some flex on either end. But i think that is with most laptops.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Tbh, I don't think I ever did this for any model, though I suppose I can understand the thought process for the 2017 model.

9. robvas macrumors 68030

The paper would still touch which can still scratch your screen

10. leman macrumors G3

Strange things happen every day. Personally, I haven't seen anything like this yet, either with my machine nor with any of my coworker's machines (I haven't used any practice sleeves for years, I juts drop my laptop into the bag like it is). Maybe badly adjusted hinge + a lot of pressure?

11. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

I kept the one that came with my old 2009 MBP for over 7 years. At the time the sheet was sturdier and made of a slightly thicker and softer material. The current one is just a cheap, thin piece of paper and doesn't really do much. As a matter of fact, I got a few key marks on my 2016 MBP screen even when leaving it on.

12. newellj macrumors 604

The paper is going to get wrinkled, at least to some extent - it will not stay perfectly flat, so it will contact the screen. Heck, even if it were in factory-new, pristine condition it would be contacting the display.

The paper is going to collect fine bits of dust and grit.

Unless you live your life in an industrial clean room, you are most likely putting a piece of high-grit sandpaper between the keyboard and the display every time you close the computer on that piece of paper.

13. netdudeuk thread starter macrumors 6502

So there are people who get key marks. How can this be on a premium laptop, especially when design and the display are key ?

14. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Cos the thin display gets bended when u transport it with other stuff in the same bag.
    But even if u get some marks u won’t see them when the display is on

15. icymountain macrumors 6502

I got the screen of a 2015 MBP 13" replaced (for free), due to keys and laptop frame leaving marks and ultimately removing the screen coating (which was weak in the first place, hence the free replacement). At that time, I was told that having a thin sheet between the keyboard and the screen was not a bad idea.
    Not sure about the 2017 MBP. Not willing to test as getting the screen replaced, even for free is a hassle.

16. smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

That's not true... at least it's not true for me and hopefully it's not a case where the keys touch in some cases and not in others because that would indicate an even greater issue at hand.

I should start putting thin tissue paper down. I'm not concerned about the screen getting marks. I don't think it'd permanently harm the screen and by the time I let go of my machines, anyone interested in buying it isn't going to care if you have an occasional mark or scratch anyway. It's just annoying to have to keep wiping oil marks off the screen so I can see clearly.

My screen gets a lot of oil marks. It gets enough that if I don't wipe it down a few times a month, it'll start getting hard to read text in some spots.

This could be one of those things that are more of an issue for some people who just naturally have oilier skin. I'm probably one of those people. I've worn the lettering off some old external keyboards in as little as a few months before.

17. ascender macrumors 68020

Nope. I haven't noticed any marks on the screen and to be honest this sounds like a total faff! I'd give it a week before I'd either lost the paper or thrown it in the bin.

18. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I've kept the little 'rice paper' sheet in place with every MacBook (or PowerBook) I've ever owned. Not only does it help keep the screen pristine, I honestly believe e it also helps resale value. If I'm selling a machine on eBay or elsewhere, I always mention that the display has been protected since new by the original screen sheet.

When I'm using the MBP, the sheet is always screen-side down on top of the sleeve. People do look at me a little in public spots like Starbuck's, but I can handle that since I've seen enough 'other people's' machines to know how clean mine is in comparison.

My wife, on the other hand, tosses the screen sheet whenever she gets a new machine. Her display looks awful (and I'm referring to the laptop screen, not her!) and she doesn't care. I happily admit I'm a bit 'anal' about my equipment ... always have been.

19. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

I had this issue with two MacBook Airs. I have a slight scratch line on the screen where the top of the trackpad touches the screen if pressed. So I put a velvet cloth over the touch pad (top part) when putting it in a bag.

Could not figure out where the scratch that is in the middle of the screen (perfect line) happened with both MacBook Airs until later...Doesn’t show up when the laptop is on, but you can see it when it is turned off....