Do you still need iTunes to activate the iPhone 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xandros, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Xandros macrumors regular

I'm not in the loop with the newer generations of the iPhone but I seem to recall some generations ago, if you bought an iPhone you had to have a computer with a compatible version of iTunes installed in order to activate it, or something (I currently only have a PowerBook G4, with OS X Leopard and whatever version of iTunes was last released for PPC G4's which I doubt the iPhone 5S is compatible with).

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

No, you can do everything you need to do from the phone itself.

3. Xandros thread starter macrumors regular

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Happy to help!

5. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

No, and it's a good thing.

I recently bought a (new for me) iPhone 5 and i don't need iTunes or ever to connect it to a computer for the phone to function.

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I have a PB G4 and what you're missing is iCloud. After reading your post, I'm wondering if you can manage your account online just by logging onto https://www.icloud.com too. After you activate.

There you can manage your Apple apps. This way everything will sync to your phone. I have a PB and MBP and on my MBP my Apple apps I have a iCloud sync and the old sync (.Mac/Mobileme). When I create an event in iCal I get two entries (one sent to the cloud and one for MobileMe) but one event is sent to my iOS devices. If that makes any sense. So try doing what you can on your phone. Login online and see if you can enter from there, since you Mac isn't up to date.