Do You Still Use A Walkman?

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
As the title says Do you still use a walkman? Even in this day and age?

Applespider

macrumors G4
I don't think I've used a tape based Walkman since about 1991...

I got a CD walkman around then while I was at University to listen to on the train journey home... and I'm not sure I can remember the last time I listened to that; certainly not in the A.iP. age... I could never be bothered taking all the CDs out of the jewel cases, putting them into a CD binder and lugging them around. The iPod was the answer to my prayers... I've listened and bought so much more music since I ripped all the CDs to iTunes...

I've probably bought nearly the same number of albums in the last 2 years as I had in the 10 years before that :eek:

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
I like the tape walkman's better because they take less space than a portable DiscMan. Or most CD players. I have a Sony DiscMan from 1989 too.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I only stopped using tape based stuff about 18 months ago, when I got my iPod.
I use public transport a lot and if I can't drown out peoples mundane chatter I feel like killing them.

I'm the same now, if I've forgotten to remove the volume limiting on my iPod.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
The problem is that tape is navigationally inferior to pretty much every other recording medium in that you can only scrub through it, you can't skip.

Last time I used a walkman was probably 1999.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I haven't touched my Walkman is years, but I still have it, and it still works! A great collector's item if nothing else.... :D

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
MonksMac said:
A Walkman is this ... A la 1979-80

That was the one I had first, with the bright orange "talk" button. It lasted about 6 months...

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
ive never owned a walkman (cheap parents mostly) but i sometimes still listen to my wal-mart ripoff--the radio though, not the tape player.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
I think I retired my Walkman in 1994. Took me forever to convince my parents to get me one. That thing traveled everywhere with me and it lasted pretty much through my entire youth.(a good little companion so to speak)

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Since I couldn't charge my 5th Gen. iPod on my Power Mac, (doesn't have USB 2) I had to use my DiscMan a few days. God, it was terrible. It doesn't even have a pause button and skips when you barely touch it. It's from '99 and still works, so I guess I'll give it credit for that.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Actually, I was just rooting through some of my storage boxes (where I keep all my spare cables, etc.), and not only did I find my old Atari Lynx, but I also found my old portable cassette player. I'm sure it still works, but I don't have any tapes to play in it. ;)

I'll keep it just in case the time ever comes that a beautiful stranger hands me a tape and says "the secret to saving the world is on this tape!" before dying in my arms in a dramatic fashion. :)

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
clayj that sounds like an ending from a book. Have you ever considered writing?

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
I can't remember when I used a cassette tape last.

like.. 1992?
and that was to record something off the radio?

heck yea, I used cassettes when I was four. I've never looked back!!

so, raise your hand if you just felt really old when you read that I was four in 1992.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
God no.

I used to make mix tapes for my car back in 2002ish before I got the wild idea to get a tape adapter for my iPod.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
alexstein said:
writing code doesn't count only words that make sense!!! :D
OK... I've had (counts on fingers) 4 articles published in game magazines, as well as a chapter of a gaming module (this was all for an RPG called Traveller: 2300, back in the late 1980s)... I was set to write a complete 96 page module, but the company I was writing for changed their business plans and the project was shelved indefinitely. I also had an article published in a local Charlotte leisure magazine last year (I wrote that one for free).

Oh, and I wrote over 1,250 articles for Microsoft's Knowledge Base.

I'm a pretty good writer. (Note to all weisenheimers: I did not say VERY good or great... just pretty good.) ;)