Do you still use archiving software for compressing files into .rar or .zip or ...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spinnerlys, May 9, 2009.

?

Do you still archive/compress your files?

1. yes - to archive files like texts or other compressible documents

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. yes - to compress my music or jpeg images or videos

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. yes - for something else

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. nooooo. no.

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. you seem do have too much time on your hands thinking about such trivial aspects of life

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hello.

I was just wondering, if any of you still use compression/archiving software to compress your files into "smaller" archives?

I think I last used WinRar to make an archive of some photos I collected, but that was in 2003 or so.

Since moving to Mac OS X I have never made an compressed archive to save storage, as JPEGs are compressed just fine, and compressing them wouldn't gain much space.

I thing I once used Disk Utility to make a DMG out of a folder to send it more conveniently via e-mail.

What still sometimes boggles my mind is that some software comes via .zip or .rar, and when unpacked (mostly a DMG or an .app), it still is roughly the same size as the .rar or zip, plus some KB sometimes.

I can see using it with text files, but not with anything else, as a lot of (normal) files is compressed as much as it gets.

PS: is there a way to edit a stupid spelling error in a poll question?

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I picked up Stuffit pro today, as a matter of fact. It helps me send files that are too big to attach, in emails.

Now if I can just get it to compress the waist line :p

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

compression is almost always completely pointless

4. Diaresi macrumors regular

What with broadband and things like iDisk, Dropbox and the like... compression is totally pointless these days :p

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Because sometimes it's easier to work with a single file than it is to work with 100.

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

When I want to send a lot of files with intact directory structure, a compression program can be the easiest way to handle it.

I'm still being lazy and looking for a 7zip drag and drop compression widget.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Heck I just got lazy and started right clicking and using OS X compression for rarely used folders.

8. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

No I don't use compression software, no point in it really - not for me anyway. And I'm not spending $50USD for it.

9. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Not always, in the corporate world and email, you can only send about 2 mb attachments total, or it either bogs down, or refuses to send it. They aren't tech savvy enough to order pizza in. ;)

Edit - as a note, I compressed a 4.5mb folder down to 900 kb size. Really nice

10. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I will often zip a folder instead of sending a bunch of smaller files via email.
    If i need to send something to a lot of people its often easier to zip it, put it on mediafire, then send out the link.

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Though I don't do it often, I do zip things when archiving, especially log files from my web server. Log files can be compressed greatly due to a lot of repeating strings. I've also used some programs that can run files directly inside compressed files, like CBZ files and I've used music players that can play music inside zip files.

You don't have to pay for compression software. There are free apps.

12. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I guess. But I only use the OS X utility to decompress files I may have downloaded, I don't compress files otherwise. :eek: