Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you still use pre-Retina Macbooks?

• Total voters

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I don’t I love the retina screen. However my 2010 is still going strong for my brother with an ssd.

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
I've only just joined the 'retina' revolution having recently upgraded from an MBA. I was unsure if the first gen retina display Macbook Pros back in 2013 had powerful enough GPUs (or in most cases integrated graphics) to drive them, so it's take me a few years to take the plunge.

Heithel

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2017
Yup, 13” mid 2012. Upgraded to 500GB SSD, maxed up ram to 16GB and changed battery. It runs as smooth as my dad’s retina if not better. Booting time is ridiculously fast too!

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
In the period in which my 2017 Pro was being repaired, I used my fiancée's 2011 13" Pro with 8 GB RAM and an SSD, the same as what @janitor3 described above. Almost made me feel bad for dropping so much on a new computer (okay... it did make me feel bad!) because everything I did was fast and easy. The only complaint was the screen - both in quality (obviously) and just in size - harder to get things done with fewer pixels. Great machine!

Reactions: macintoshmac

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 13" that I've kept "as a spare" since I got the 2015 model last December. I still boot it up, check it, charge the battery every couple of weeks...

Ace2617

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2016
I had a mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13". I don't personally use it anymore, but it's still in the family and it gets used as a primary computer everyday. It works great after putting a 512 GB SSD and 16 GB of RAM in it. Prior to that, it was struggling with the standard 4 GB of RAM and 500 GB HDD, but now it's a little powerhouse.

The SSD really transformed it. I've used it occasionally in the time since I got my 2015 rMBP, and the screen on the 2012 isn't that bad, in my opinion. I know it's not Retina, but it's usable -- just my opinion though. Also love that it's upgradable. I do miss that aspect, personally.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Hello!

One thing I want to know.

Do you still use pre-Retina Macbooks?

And if yes, why?

Thank you!

I have now relegated my Late 2011 15" MBP to be a family laptop in a way, configuring it with two user accounts that contain original photo libraries. I now use it only rarely, but still use it out of sentimental reasons, it being my first Apple Computer and still going strong with the latest High Sierra beta! Plus, I maintain it as a backup computer as well.

The fact that this computer was upgraded to 256GB SATA SSD as well as 16GB 1600MHz RAM in 2013 has provided for a longer life to this computer than initially imagined.

[doublepost=1510425383][/doublepost]
And do you use the "old" ports like FireWire 800 and Ethernet?

I have a Seagate GoFlex External Hard Disk Drive for Mac that I purchased specifically in the FW800 port configuration, and at that time, it seemed to be faster than USB for transferring data. Technically I can still use the port, but having dismantled the enclosure recently so I could connect the disk to a generic SATA connector with a USB-C at the other end, I can say that I now do not use either the FW or the Ethernet ports.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.