Do you still use the mute switch?

Do you use the mute switch?

• Yes, frequently

Votes: 54 79.4%
  • Yeah, but not too often (1-5 times a month)

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • No, very rarely or never

Votes: 8 11.8%

• Total voters

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
I’ve recently been realizing how I never use the mute switch on my iPhone anymore. Now perhaps this is in part (or wholly) due to my having an Apple Watch. So I have my iPhone on permanent mute with no vibration. All notifications are received via Taptic (no sound) on my Apple Watch.

The mute switch is increasingly becoming one of the few moving parts remaining on the iPhone. I could easily see it being the next to go. Obviously this feature could still be added as a feature in control center (a la Apple Watch). Do you still use yours?

syncopy

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016
Yes. My iPhone is muted and on silent for 99% of its usage time. I don’t need a physical switch, though, as a software button would be more than enough.

Reactions: ikenstein

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like this would be different for people with a smartwatch vs. without one.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
sometimes i use it when i realize i've accidentally switched it off.. so i have to use it to turn it back on again.
; )

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I can't remember the last time I've used my mute switch. My phone is always on silent. Actually wish Apple would relegate that function to someplace like the control center. It'd be one fewer mechanical part that can fail, and one less way of ingress for dust or moisture. Actually don't understand why they retained it when it literally performs no other function on the iPhone, unlike the buttons that can be used for taking photos or used in reset procedures.

(also I do not use an Apple Watch)

Last edited:

zakarhino

macrumors demi-god
Sep 13, 2014
Berkeley
I don't remember the last time my phone was unmuted with the switch. Vibration and the screen lighting up is enough for me.

-Leigh-

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
Use it daily. I went to an S8 for a couple of months and it was one thing I REALLY missed!! You don't realise how annoying having to remove your phone from your pocket, unlocking it, and putting it on silent really is until you have to do it a few times a day.

It had better stay.

nyfliiboy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Nothing more annoying than listening to music and hearing your notifications come on. Thats mostly when I use the mute switch

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I wish more people used the mute switch. I would hate it if they got rid of it, because then people who couldn’t figure out how to mute via settings would just stop muting altogether.

People who are actively texting and don’t mute the phone is one of my all time biggest pet peeves. I take a few 3 hour train rides a year, and I spend the entire time listening to that infernal DING and BLOOP coming from multiple people, with their volume turned up full blast. Why do they need to hear the ding while they are staring directly at the phone???

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Oh no, don't even think about it lol. They might have taken our headphone jack and home button but leave the mute switch alone!!!