Do You Suffer From "Onemoreitis?"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Alimar, Nov 4, 2014.

?

Do You Gotta Have That New Toy?

Poll closed Nov 11, 2014.
  1. Yes, Gotta have it! NOW!

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Naw, don't want it.

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Maybe, Just a few new things.

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Other response...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Do you gotta have the latest new toy? Be it a computer, phone, stereo, camera, car, etc.? Give it to us...

2. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

It depends on the category. I know that I definitely want the latest tablets - both iPad and Android - but I don't have the finances to afford it.

But with phones, definitely not. I'm waiting for the moment when the iPhone 5C is about to be discontinued so I can upgrade my 4S.

3. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I usually reserve my "onemoreitis" for my moms home made chocolate chip cookies.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Onemoreitis sounds like a made up excuse for them who have zero willpower to tell themselves that they actually don't need the latest and greatest. But whatever, its your money.

5. birnando macrumors regular

birnando

He who has the most gadgets when he dies, wins...

6. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

when you die, you either have a lot of money saved up that you can't spend because youre dead or you have a ton of cool stuff that you can no longer use.

Its the same either way.

Money and toys have the same value, its just that people value money higher. Money is meant to be spent, on what though, is subjective.

Having a lot of either upon your deathbed won't do you any good either way. Enjoy your life. If toys make you happy, get toys. If having a bank account balance with alot of numbers, then save save save.

----------

All those rich kids that inherit all this money when their parents die are the product of people who saved all their life to provide for others once they are gone. But what really happens is the person who inherits all this money spends it on lavish items , don't learn the value of a dollar and who don't have the ability to judge when a purchase is unnecessary and end up probably being an a$$hole because of it. So all those years their parents spent going without and saving to give their kid a better future actually did them more harm than anything.

7. 63dot, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have two old Macs and one very old iBook, so I am not guilty of overspending there. I have one lone PC that's four years old and it works just fine. My clothes are adequate and I have only several pairs of shoes. I have one car. I quit at two college degrees and called it a day when they were completed because they got me to where I need to be on that part of my resume and pulled out of another program even though I liked it. Who needs three degrees when most people don't even have one? Why study for something I don't need? My food gets used up and I don't over shop to the point food rots in my fridge. I am not expecting armageddon. For those who know me, I am practical and even considered cheap.

But,

I am a hog when it comes to my SF Giants and titles.

We have our third World Series in five years, we have the most prolific home run hitter of all time and best single home run season, we a rotation with three Cy Young awards, and a no hitter this year, and in 2013, and in 2012 which was also a perfect game. We have the most coaches and players in the sport's Hall of Fame.

But I want "just one more title" to make it four. Let me explain:

Getting four titles in six years (if we take October in 2015) won't put us on the same category of Jeter's Yankees or Ruth's Yankees because both those teams got four titles in just five years. So I would want another title to have five World Series trophies. But then it would not put us on the same footing as Yogi's Yankees who went five for five so I would want six titles.

So at three World Series titles in a short time span, we are only halfway there if our dynasty is to surpass the Bronx Bombers Jeter, Ruth, Yogi dynasties of the past.

We probably have the best football dynasty with five rings in five tries (1981-1994) with Montana, Young, Rice, Haley, Craig, Rathman, Lott, etc. but I would like our baseball team from the city to also have the best dynasty period of the sport. I have given up on hockey since that dynasty title belongs to the Gretzky era teams, and basketball has its all time best with LeBron now, Jordan in his day, and various Lakers and Celtics dynasties and all the stars they produced. I don't see the Sharks in San Jose lighting up the board anytime soon or the Warriors becoming the next big perennial winners. All this has led SF Giants fans on a rampage of wanting to permanently book the SF Civic Center for Giants parades and celebrations.

8. chown33 macrumors 604

9. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

Luckily Technology has finally plateaued for the most part. My iMac is from 2009 with an i7 2.8Ghz chip and my Macbook air is the late 2010 Ultimate model with a c2d 1.6Ghz, both handle what i need to do just fine and have held up really well against the latest software. I try to convince myself to get the latest great models of each but i just cant justify it at the moment. I have however indulged in a new iPad each year since its inception (with the exception of this latest model.) and enjoy getting the newest iPhone each year. I guess MY guilty pleasure is the iphone, but where i used to upgrade to a new iMac every year i know buy iphones instead, so its a trade off.

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I do not. iPhone 6 came out, I bought the iPhone 5s. Largely because (a) no really noticeable speed bump given the increase in screen, and (b) that ugly, ugly camera lens. Apple should hire an Industrial Design Rabbi and chop them off as soon as they roll off the assembly line. :D

11. caseycicada macrumors member

I suffer from the one-more-chapter-before-bedtime disease, whatever that is... not the disorder we are discussing though hahah

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I can usually hold it, but I love looking at the latest generation cars.

13. Chuck Rodent macrumors member

Chuck Rodent

I have lots of willpower... because I have never used any of it.
    Fishing rods, bicycles, model airplanes, golf clubs, TVs. It is called N+1.

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Money allowing I sure as hell would be. But money is not allowing :(

----------

I'm losing!!!

15. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I buy every other iPhone.
    I bought my wife an iPad Air at launch and inherited her iPad 2.
    I have a late 2012 IMAC. Can't imagine I'll up date it in the next couple of years.
    My car is a 2007 Ford. It gets me from A to B.

My camera gear was mostly sourced second hand at a fraction of what it's worth.

I don't buy clothes very often (and only do when I need a different size!).

I have a wife and daughter to provide for. I take more pleasure in buying them nice things than I do for myself.
    I'm also fortunate enough that my wife doesn't have to work and can be a stay at home mum.
    Owning things or having savings does not make one happy.

16. kazmac, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014

kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Occasionally, now that I've kicked my iPad habit.

The iPhone 6 has doubly nipped this in the bud. I've learned it's best to wait until you absolutely need the item, especially since Apple is making more disposable product these days.

And I'll agree Apple fanboy, owning things does not make you happy.

17. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I'm the complete opposite. I hate buying things. Outside of necessities, I very rarely spend money, and only after thoroughly immersing myself in research of whatever it is I'm buying. I have accumulated all kinds of specialized, totally useless knowledge about mundane things this way.

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Yes I suffer from n+1 with more than a few things usually after getting all excited and read to go to the store I remind myself that I'd actually like to retire some day and sometimes you can't have just can't have SNS.

19. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Yep. I'm constantly there. So far I've slowed it down immensely but haven't stopped it. I'm still obsessed with technology even though my new job is in insurance. Thankfully I'm not around phones all day now so I'm definitely spending less. Plus with my new job having 401k, I'm getting pushed into saving more now anyways.

20. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

No, I like getting as much life as I can out of my tech. The only time I replace it fairly quickly is when I'm really unhappy with it.

I enjoy my iPad Mini 1st generation more and more everyday. Hardware wise it's falling behind, but I am getting a lot more out of it now than I was to begin with.

21. letsGoOn2 macrumors newbie

Used to need the latest, but I'm over it now

Over the last ~10 years my philosophy has changed from lusting after the latest & greatest to reveling in how long I can keep "old" stuff in service. Across the board, from A/V equipment, automobiles, computers, photography gear, cycling equipment, you name it. It didn't happen all at once, but I suspect the change is a reaction to my perception and concern over participating in a "throw away" culture.

I appreciate getting longevity out of the things that I buy, and also as an engineer I strive to design and implement things that will be relevant and enjoyable even after the next version ships.