Do you sync over the wire or wifi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aoaaron, Apr 16, 2012.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

I'm starting to lean towards syncing over the usb rather than wifi.

wifi syncing and having both an iPhone and an iPad has been a bit troublesome recently. my iPhone has always synced perfectly but since the introduction of the iPad, its been a bit weird.

not thats its imperfect, just sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it gets stuck, transferring documents to apps, sometimes its slow or the apps directory doesn't show up and i need to sync before it does etc.

anyway what are ur guys opinions? i have iTunes match installed on my iPad anyway so syncing will only be videos where the usb will be more suitable. what are your opinions?

2. techguy20 macrumors 6502

I'm usually plugged in to charge from my Mac, so it usually syncs over USB.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Wire is easy enough to plug in and seems way more reliable (doesn't hang as much appearing to do nothing) and is considerably faster anyway. Either way I still find transfers to be very slow compared to what they should be. Roll on the thunderbolt transfer cables!

4. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

USB; I seem to have issues with sycning over wi-fi, as the reliabilty is a bit flaky. Sometimes my iOS devices will sync without a hitch, other times it just hangs there in the side window doing nothing,or sometimes it doesn't show up in iTunes at all. I rarely have these problem syncing over USB, so I stick with that.

5. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Wifi most of the time but once in a while I use the USB cord to sync like when I add a bunch of shows for travel.

6. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Wire, my dorm wifi doesn't allow that type of port, apparently.:mad:

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

It depends on if I already have my laptop out. So about half and half.

8. Oman macrumors regular

I do both but mostly wired. However I update my over the air sync and back up atleast every two weeks. You can toggle between the two as you please.

9. waynep macrumors 6502

10. NTeggerdine macrumors member

When I try to wifi sync it takes forever so I always revert back to the USB cable. Do u ever experience it taking a really long time to sync over Wifi? Any clue why I might be experiencing that?

11. waynep macrumors 6502

Yes wifi takes longer. But I don't really care . . . I sync'd a movie to the iPad last night. It took 10 minutes or so but that's no big deal for me.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Depends very much on what's being transferred! Large cable small wifi daily sync would be wifi

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I used to have my iPhone and iPad set for Wifi sync, but I turned it off because of a really annoying issue I was having. If I left the house with either device and then came back to the house, I would often get errors that iTunes could not longer sync with those devices. I would have to click OK on the error a million times to get it to go away, and then usually needed to restart iTunes to get the sync in place again. This would block all other activity in iTunes until I responded to all the errors.

Eventually I just turned it off. I have iTunes Match and iCloud turned on, so all my new music purchases hit my computer automatically. Apps, books, TV shows, etc. can all be re-downloaded now. My iPhone and iPad sync to iCloud whenever I plug them in to charge and I'm on my network. I just don't see the point of having wifi sync turned on. And I rarely even have my PC booted up anymore anyway, so there are many reasons to not use it at all these days.

14. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

Wired always - so much faster! particularly if I'm transferring a few movies

Ant

15. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Initial sync via USB since it's takes so long but after that, wifi only. Same goes with my iphone

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

USB Sync is for me over wifi sync for picture transfer to my MBP

17. Arid macrumors member

Arid

18. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

19. sphinx99 macrumors member

Wired only. Wifi sometimes just stalls for no apparent reason; iTunes isn't exactly a paragon of reliability, and trusting it to sync to my phone over an unreliable connection seems like too much to ask of a program that sometimes struggles to sync over the wired connection.

20. wharzhee macrumors 6502

wifi, for daily (without fail) syncing.

wires, if i want to transfer stuff immediately.