Do you sync your entire iTunes library onto your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ann P, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Ann P macrumors 68020

Just curious. Do you try to squeeze everything on there or just current favorites? I know you can only carry so much with a 32gb limitation.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I use smart playlists as I have enough music to fill two 160gb classics up.

3. Built macrumors 68020

Nope...I have the 3G 16Gb, so there is just no way...So I just sync "checked" songs and videos.

I still won't have enough room with the iPhone 4 32GB (I even have too much for my iPod Touch 3rd gen 64GB)...

4. calvy macrumors 65816

hell no. i have way more than 32GB worth of stuff in my library.

5. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

Yep, - umm no?

Like most, storing 5,332 songs on the phone would be difficult - to say the least :)

6. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I do squeeze everything I can out of my extra space, but I can't fit my music library on my iPhone. So I have my favorites and whatever is left over I have it randomly fill the free space. I also have iTunes convert all the music it transfers over into 128Kbs AAC.

7. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

8. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Utilizing Smart Playlist, I have iTunes automatically cycle my songs everytime I sync so whatever I'm listening, it's always something I like and fresh.

9. Built macrumors 68020

That's a great idea...Too bad I just like listening to the same things over and over and over and over...I should try this, though...Might be a good thing for me!

10. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Same here

11. moka macrumors 6502a

i have 12 gigs of music, so for now yes i am able to sync all my music into my iPhone. At one point i used simplify media/orb and was able to listen to my music over the air with out having to store all the songs into my iPhone, it was nice but with no multitasking back then it was a hassle.

12. twilightrose macrumors member

I won't, getting my first iPhone in August can't wait :D:cool:

13. Built macrumors 68020

You'll LOVE it...seriously...

14. B Gallagher macrumors regular

Curious - what sort of smart playlists do you have set up? I have a couple - "4 star or higher not played in the past year", etc - but am keen to hear suggestions. I guess I should try to keep my portable music library fresh, just like the new Google. :p

I also have several dozen smart playlists in iTunes, so I just select what I want until the phone's as full as it can get. Using ALAC means I have it set to convert to 128 kbps though.

15. tungstentim macrumors regular

tungstentim

I wish I could. My itunes library is showing about 110Gb of just music. I only put smart playlists on with songs I've not heard in a few weeks.

I also put audio books on it too (audible).:rolleyes:

Tim

16. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I have a really complex setup of various smart playlists feeding into other smart playlists. I use several categories, including ratings, genre, and last-played date, to ensure the end result will always be the songs that I like and what I have not listened to for a while, keeping things fresh.

To simplify, here's the basic idea (my actual setup is a bit more complicated):
    I have 2 smart playlists, each collecting my favorite tracks (3 stars or more) that haven't been played for, let's say, a month. 1 is for a specific favorite genre, the other one has no restriction in genre. This will ensure that I have more tracks collected from my favorite genre, but not ignoring other genres completely. Then I set up 1 playlist that I sync with appropriate size limitation, feeding off those 2 playlists. All of them are set to live-update. So everytime I sync my iPhone/iPod, all the tags will be updated, and iTunes will automatically rotate the songs. Pretty complicated to setup, but once done, it's very neat and automatic. Note that I did this way before iTunes have the Genius/Genius mixes feature.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Even if I convert everything to 128kbps, my library will not fit :(

So I just have a couple playlists that I sync.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

450GB of music so it will be a few more generations before I can do that.:D

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I have a playlist called iPhone, which has only my favorites.

20. androiphone macrumors 65816

does anyone honestly even listen to their entire music collection, if you dont want to listen to it then why would you have it all on your phone

21. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

I just take a few favourites. I got Simplify Media so i can stream my entire library. :)

22. M87 macrumors 65816

No. I hand pick the artists to sync. I'm going to have to switch to some other system as I'm sick of having 90% of my storage taken up by music, especially if I'm going to be shooting 720p video now. It would be nice if I could have it sync my top 10 albums or something.

23. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

No, i have way too much music. I use playlists and switch them up often when i get sick of stuff.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Heck no, my library is too big.

Besides, I rotate playlists, for instance being June I see little reason to have my Christmas music on my phone. So between size, there's my selection that I like to move around.

25. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Yes... unlike most people... I only have about 600-800 songs... but I listen to EVERY song I have... I don't put full albums on my comp... only the ones I want a listen to.