Do you tag your sites?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by web_god61, Jan 21, 2010.

?

Do you tag websites you make?

1. Yes - I tag all websites I make

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No - I dont tag websites I make

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Depends - I only tag free / charity / personal websites I make

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. web_god61 macrumors regular

web_god61

I was doing some work the other day and client hit with this, "Do you think the website (i just made) is ugly." I said no, why would you say that, he went on to explain that I didnt add a my "Designed by x" link to it.

My question is about those little "Designed by x" / "Website by x" links some people/companies add to websites they create.

I think of web design as a service job and when i see a "Designed by x" links, it always seems unprofessional to me. They pay you to do a job not to promote yourself on their website, you dont see plumbers add a sticker with their face onto your facet when their done. Then again, artists do sign their paintings.

My thinking is this:
    1- Paid work - Link is NOT OK, unprofessional
    2- Free / Charity Discount work - Link is OK
    3- Personal or Related website - Link is OK

What do you guys think?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm mixed, but mostly match up with your thinking. A site for a coworker I made I added a link in the footer for my site. Sometimes if I'm doing just some code I add my web site in a comment as author of the script, but this isn't seen by casual users unless they look at the script (unless it's server side code).

I don't necessarily think having a link on a professional site it bad, but shouldn't be forced on the customer. Simply give them the option to have it or not. It can help build name recognition so can be helpful for freelancers too.

3. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

If it's free, you can add it (and probably should), but paid no unless the client wants it