Do you take any "health" supplements?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JW8725, Dec 21, 2008.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Why is "health" in ""? I don't do anything dodgy!

I take a multi vit and mineral once every so often, but I eat a very healthy diet so am usually ok. I do sometimes drink a protein shake because I'm a veggie and it's often difficult to get your protein in.

3. akeemD macrumors newbie

i take multivitamins tablet once a day and pro plus tablets occasionally.

4. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because people get suckered into buying anything if the advertising and packaging is snazzy.

5. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Nope. I just try to eat right. I used to take all sorts of multi-vitamins a while back but all it did was turn my pee a bright yellow, never felt any better. I keep hearing on the news the possible benefits of large vitamin doses only to find a later study shows no health benefits. (Vit C prevents cancer, Vit B slows Alzheimers, Vit E prevents prostate cancer, etc.) Too much conflicting information about the health benefits of eating this or taking that. I've given up trying to figure it all out.

I do take occasional fiber supplements, but that's all. I just try to eat more fruits and veggies.

6. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

I just take a multivitamin once per day. I do actually notice a difference if I miss a day so there might be something to it.

7. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Only when I feel my wallet needs to go on a diet.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

5-htp and vitamin c before and after raves, Glucosamine and a multivitamin daily.

Glucosamine has had a massive positive impact upon my joints, I never used to be able to dance with my legs while out clubbing but now I can do a night jumping about like a spack and still be able to walk the day after!

9. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Multi-vitamins are a waste. Your body can't make any use of all that overdosing of vitamins, and if you're not starving to death you're getting all the vitamins your body can handle from your diet.

You're just paying a pretty penny to turn your Pee yellow. That color is your hard earned money quite literally going down the toilet.

SLC

10. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you obese?

11. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

hahahaah

good point.

im not sure who told him/her about multi-v's but they told wrong.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

When I remember I take a multivitamin. I have a healthy diet, I just have that to top me up, as it were. Or I swap that out completely with a 1000mg Vitamin C whenever I get a mouth ulcer of if I or anyone around me is ill.

What, really, and you're in the UK? I've heard about this happening in the states but I've never met anyone who buys them off adverts and snazzy packaging.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Good question, I am stick thin and eat generally well but still find that I feel better in myself as a result of taking a multivitamin.

14. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought 5HTP was for sleep promotion? You take that before raves? Is that so you get the "stoned" feel without weed? :confused:

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

5-HTP (http! :D)
    B5
    C
    D
    E
    Folic Acid
    CoQ10 (which has greatly improved my heart health)

..I was raised in a very health-foods, vitamins & supplements-friendly household. I haven't been to the regular doctor in ages, but I do go once a year to my cardiologist for the heart deformity.

16. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I have a bottle of Vitamin C, Flaxseed Oil, and Vitamin D.

I try to take all three throughout the day but if I fail I don't freak out.

17. Keebler macrumors 68030

multi-vitamin daily
    b-12 pill every few days*
    vitamin c every few days
    veggie greens and phyto berries in my shake with protein
    occasionally glutamine to help muscle recovery
    udo's oil (not a supplement per say, but used on salads in shakes to promote better fat balance in my diet)

* The b-12 was on recommendation from a blood analysis I had done. That was eye opening b/c it showed healthy blood and my slightly less than healthy (just needed the b-12 to boost it a bit).

I've questioned the use of these supplements, but in the end, I do notice a big difference in my energy levels when i'm not taking them consistently so I stay the course.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

What's the point in going to a rave if you're just going to mong out? I can't stand the effects of weed myself. 5-htp is a serotonin precursor thus increased the potency and reduces the after effects of certain stimulants. It supposedly aids sleep as serotonin is converted to melotonin in the brain, I've never been able to sleep well after taking the stuff myself though. I know people who take it regularly as an anti-depressant too.

19. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Vitamin K
    Vitamin D
    Calcium
    then I stay away from the McDonalds and Burger King.

20. Queso macrumors G4

Vitamin B complex, once a day. I'm a veggie, so unless I was going to eat Marmite every day B12 would be a problem.

I don't mind the price either. These things aren't expensive these days.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

22. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mong out huh? Leeds talk there like!:p

I take 150 mg 5HTP most nights. Works perfectly well for me. I wake up really refreshed owing to an increase in stage 4 sleep (deep sleep). I sleep the same length of time but since the quality of sleep is better it feels like I've slept a lot longer.

What about supplementing with GABA or Melatonin direct? Also www.pzizz.com is awesome (works with Mac perfectly well).

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I don't really see the point tbh, I only take 5-htp to rectify brain chemistry imbalance after getting off my face.

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

25. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I take a multi-vitamin daily. It's cheap insurance in case the diet isn't as balanced as you think.