Do you take videos in 4K or 1080p HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Dec 22, 2016.

?

Which video format do you usually take the videos under?

1. 4K

71.4%
  2. 1080p HD

28.6%
  3. Others

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, storage is not much of a problem these days. I wonder if you usually take videos in 4K or 1080p HD. I usually take videos using my iPhone 6s+ in 4K for future proof. However, my MBP 2010 17" is not capable of displaying 4K videos. Whenever I play back 4K videos on this old machine, the motions are not smooth. Perhaps the hardware is too old. Which format do you recommend?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My hardware has full 4K support, so I use 4K recording. However, if you can't display or edit 4K files on your machine, there's little point in recording in that format. So it all depends on the weakest hardware in the chain.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

When I played back the 4K video in Premiere Pro CS6, the sound and motion did not match. Playing the video using QuckTime and VLC showed choppy motion. On the internet, some mentioned that it is not due to old hardware but software. Somebody mentioned that using DaVinci or VLC could allow older hardware to play 4K videos smoothly but none of the program works in this case. What else can I do given that I already shot that video in 4K?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suggest using HandBrake to "convert" the video from 4K to 1080p. It's kind of an ugly hack, but it'll get the job done.

5. hajime, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016

hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I copied three 4k videos (content is a few minutes each) from Photos to the desktop. I has been a bit over 9 hours and the operation still has not completed. How come it takes so long given that the video files are already in the same SSD drive?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 26, 2016 ---
    I am going to try it after the copying operation is done. Thanks
    --- Post Merged, Dec 26, 2016 ---
    Just used Handbrake to convert a 4K video. I used the following default options:

Format: MP4 File
    Video Codec: H.264 (x264) <------- Is this correct?
    Quality: Constant Quality
    Framerate (FPS): Same as source (Variable Framerate was selected automatically)

When I played back the converted video, I also have the problems of: sound and motion not in sync (often sound playbacked continuously but motion was paused and suddenly jumped to a few seconds later) , long pause in the middle of playback, etc. Tried MPEG-4 as the Video Codec. It is even worse. No motion most of the time. Even there was a motion, it was like playing back slow motion. Know how to fix this?

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I found that when saved in MPEG-4 as Video Codec, I have the same issues with QuickTime 7 but under VLC, it plays fine except that: 1) the white wall has some kind of halo circular patterns. 2) VLC 2.2.2 cannot display the frame number, time in msec nor allow the user to step the video one frame backward. Know other good program? Tried Premiere CS6 but it does not work. Maybe I don't know how to use it properly.