Do you take your MBP with you to the restroom?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coolwater, Jul 3, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I had a big & old PC laptop and I used to just leave it on the table at Starbucks or Caribou Coffee or Panera Bread when I am away from my table for a minute or two. And, that's really what most people do, and most people have Dell or HP laptops.

But, now I have a $400 new & small 10.2" netbook and I tend to bring it with me to the restroom when I am away from my table. Not because it's an expensive laptop, but because it's just so small and easy to pick up and go.

So, what do you do with your MBP in that situation? Dare to leave it on the table? Bring it with you to the restroom? Kensington lock? (I've never seen anyone use a lock on his/her laptop.)

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I'd never leave my MacBook unattended! :eek:

I'd take it with me, but in its bag.

3. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Agreed. :D

When I first read the thread title I was curious, then my mind wondered.

4. norsemen macrumors regular

Your MBP could be flagged if you take it to the restroom, so be careful...:D

5. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Why would you leave any of your personal belongings in a public place? That is just asking for trouble.

6. applevik macrumors member

Hold it

"it" can refer to either the Mac or... your bodily function. Too much to lose, and waaaay to attractive to potential thieves.

7. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I thought this thread was going to be about when I'm home, to which I'd say hell no!

Now my iPhone... That's another story ;)

8. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I haven't been in that situation before but if I were I would pack up my stuff and take it to the bathroom. I'm not very trusting and would never leave a 2,500 laptop just out where someone could snag it.

I do take my laptop to the bathroom at my house sometimes when I give my kid a bath.

9. pr33tz macrumors member

I don't, my 17" MBP is old enough to go on it's own. :p

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well.. Back home. I don't think I wanna leave a bar of Snickers laying about, let alone a MacBook! :mad: But in Japan, I just leave it on the coffee table, along with my keitai, zippo, tobbaco and wallet. I can guarantee on returning it'll still there!! :):)

To be honest though.. do you really wanna take it into the public toilet here in Japan? I mean.. what if it falls into a squat toilet? ewww...

11. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

We share the same iPhone story ;) haha also with my kindle :D

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I dont even leave my MBP in plain view when I'm not using it (even in the house).

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I take it your really shy... or worried the folks might steal it. :D

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

As I see it, leaving an old craptop unattended is like leaving an ugly baby. No one is going to take it. OTOH it's well known Macs have resale value, even old ones. So no way would I leave it unattended.

More important than the hardware though is the personal data you are leaving behind. I'd be more concerned about that. Buying a new laptop is easy and fun. Having to deal w/ identity theft, not so much.