Do you talk to strangers on the plane?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by agkm800, May 28, 2010.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I flew yesterday and I found myself not talking to the person sitting next to me - we didn't even say hi to each other.

Come to think of it, I rarely talk to people siting next to me on the plane. How is it for you guys?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, I usually don't. I have headphones in from the second they tell you you can use electronics until the second they tell you to turn them off.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Don't talk to people I know on a plane...

My only interaction with strangers is the chess game to win the armrest space.;)

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Depends on how long the flight is and the manner in which the person is acting.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I do if they seem willing to and aren't trying to snooze or whatnot. It's such a neat place to talk to people. Everyone on a plane is on some type of journey.

Growing up my dad lived on the East coast and I was in the midwest with my mom. I flew alone at least twice a year and when I got into high school I finally had the guts to talk to people on the plane instead of just smiling politely. It was so great! The funnest person I met was a photographer from National Geographic who showed me the shoots he was currently tasked with and talked about all the places he had been. Then there was this one lady who was on her way to her son's college graduation and gave some really awful relationship advice. She was funny. And on time I sat next to this lady and her daughter and we had both lived in this tiny town called Nauvoo, IL at different points, so we had a lot to talk about.

People are interesting, and flights are great places to find out little tidbits of information that can be absolutely fascinating. :)

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Sometimes. Depends on the mutual body language, etc.. I had one particularly nice "Single-Serving Friend" on a flight from L.A. to Seattle but other that unusual instance of having great repartee, I tend to tune other people out. ("S-SF" gave me his card and I lost it. No really.) If I'm not up for conversation and my body language and disinterested one word answers doesn't give it away I am quite content to politely say I'm not feeling up for a chat. I'm not that friendly with strangers, especially stinky annoying, armrest hogging ones I have to sit in such close proximity to.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Depends. I've met some very interesting individuals while flying.

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

No, I'm usually very grumpy when on the plane, don't like flying. Don't even say hi to me. :mad:

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

No but I scream at the snakes on the plane.

--groan---bored----

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have, made a late night flight home from CA to NC go quickly but there were moments when I just wanted to relax. I tend to get very hyped up before getting on a plane. Once we take off that adrenaline goes away and I get tired. Plus I've usually had a drink or two before flying so that kicks in. A 20 minute nap usually keeps me up the rest of the flight.

People generally avoid talking to me. I'm that one you don't really want to sit by on planes so the most interaction I have is the eye contact and the worried look on their faces that the seat next to me is theirs. :)

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

More often than not, I don't initiate a conversation; but usually am quite happy to have a conversation with just about anyone.

And there's NOTHING better than asking a girl out when taking off in Europe, crashing and burning (metaphorically!) and knowing you're going to be spending the next 13 hours next to her..:p

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Judging a book by its cover says a lot more about them than it does about you. I'd flip through your pages any time! :D

13. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Yes, usually. At least the nod, smile. I've had some good conversations and even made a friend.

My greyhound bus experiences are a whole different ball game . . . crazy stories . . .

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I spoke to a stranger on the train once, got in a whole load of trouble.

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I got talking to a guy sitting next to me one time. Nerdy looking guy, slim, with thinning gray hair, glasses. He asked me how I liked my iPhone - I said it's ok, but what they really need to do is make it bigger, about 9 inches maybe. It would sell millions.

He went very quiet, then disappeared off to make some phone calls. I wonder what ever happened to him...

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It always seems that the people next to me either want to be left alone based on their body language (headphones, reading books, etc) or I don't want to talk to them (because they are angry, drunk, rude).

However, I have talked to a few interesting people from time to time. Once I was next to a stunningly beautiful blond woman who sat down crying--a little awkward so I didn't say anything. She apologized and then started talking about her man and that they were probably going to break up, etc etc. She was nice.

17. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Sometimes if they seem friendly enough or if its an attractive woman (unless I find out they are not single or don't seem interested in chatting). Otherwise I'll just read a book or watch a movie.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I use my iPod, DS and PSP on planes. It's the only time I get to sit back and listen to music or play through my game collection. Travelling is also the best rest I get so no interacting from me.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My wife and I are opposites personality wise. When we fly (or travel) i don't ever talk with strangers, where as she'll strike up a conversation and chit chat with anyone.

20. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I tend to stereotype and talk to them if:

-They are attractive (female, preferably)
    -We're around the same age
    -We share some blatant common interest (both have Kindles, iPads, Mac, etc)

21. adk macrumors 68000

adk

When I was a teenager I watched my mom initiate a conversation with a seatmate only to have him not shut up for the remainder of the four hour flight. That single experience has caused me to avoid talking for the most part.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I always say hello to my seat mate and may make some small talk. I'm careful in that I've had some chatty people sit next to me. Headphones are a great way of not having to talk to those you aren't interested in talking to.

23. Surely Guest

Surely

I usually say hello and smile when I sit down, but I don't force a conversation. If they want to talk, and I haven't put my headphones on yet, I'll chat with them for a little while.

If I don't really feel like talking to them (I just want to sleep/relax) but they won't stop, I usually excuse myself to the bathroom and make sure that my headphones are in before I get back.

On a flight last year from Toronto to LA, I sat next to an especially chatty guy with halitosis. That wasn't fun. No matter what I did, which included listening to my iPhone and watching movies on the personal seatback screen, he tried talking to me (including asking me if I'm enjoying the movie and if he should watch it too). I think he was just excited because it was rare for him to fly, and it was his first time to LA.

24. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I typically avoid it, but most of the time I have the family along anyway.

Before I was married, I had a business trip from NY to LA and found myself sitting next to chatty Kathy. We were boarding the plane, and she already was engaging everyone around her. I popped my headphones on and avoided contact, although she tried very hard to get my attention. She was hot! Seriously hot, but I couldn't take the constant talking. She was turned around the entire 6 1/2 hour flight talking to the folks seated behind us.

They never seemed so happy as when they got off the plane. The girl managed to get me in the end though. When they make you turn off the electronics. Everyone around me laughed, so I guess it was obvious I was trying to avoid her. She wanted to actually go get coffee afterward and offered me a ride to the hotel.

Talk about Clingy! I managed to duck her at the baggage carousel and headed for the rental counter.

Thank God for in-flight beverages!

What is it with California Girls anyway? All that sun makes em crazy! LOL

25. Surely Guest

Surely

But...... she was hot...... and you weren't married yet.......:confused::p