Do you tell people their phone is bent?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TallManNY, Oct 7, 2014.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

So as a an Apple fan and reader of this site I have paid attention to bendgate. Also a bunch of my friends and co-workers have gotten the six and in one case the six plus. A few guys are going caseless. Anyway, from time to time I see a 6 outside of a case and I sometimes notice a very slight bend. I don't mention it since I don't want them to feel bad about their new device.

Do you mention it when you see folks with a bent 6 out in the wild? These are pretty small bends, so it doesn't hurt the use of the phone. And I don't even think it increases the risk. But I do see bends. Of course I'm looking for this. Currently I'm carrying my 6 in a fairly large case. I want bendgate to not exist, but I think on some level it does.

2. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Unless the topic comes up, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're walking through the parking lot and see a car with a dented fender you don't go to the owner and point it out, do you? :p

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I don't think I would say anything.

On here you're going to be called a liar for saying you saw bent phones so get ready.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I wouldn't point it out, it's not like they can do anything about it. And if they don't notice a flaw then it probably doesn't bother them. I'd hate to point it out, and then they constantly notice it and it ruins their enjoyment of the phone.

5. 617aircav Suspended

6. BuffordT macrumors regular

I would tell them. Then they can't NOT think about it every time they use their bent phone.

7. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

I do the exact same thing, but to people using an Android phone. Then, they can't stop thinking about "If only I'd had gotten an iPhone..."

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Posters in this thread seem to be under the impression that someone with a bent phone is somehow unaware of it, and that assumption (probably false) compels you to immediate action - which on the face of it, seems really insensitive, bordering on OCD.
    Why should some stranger's iPhone affect you in such a dark manner?

9. itjw macrumors 65816

I take it a step further. When I see someone really ugly, I'll point and laugh.

I mean, why not point out their misfortune right? It's not like they'd ever know they were ugly if I didn't point it out...

Thanks for the new tip! I'm always looking for new ways to ruin someone's day, and your insight is a great way to do that.

SWEET:D

10. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Mine's not. And I don't particularly care if someone else's is.

11. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

At least my plastic Moto G doesn't BEND. :p

(It may snap in half if pressed too hard though...)

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I don't inspect other people's phones.

I agree with two of the ideas I have seen in this thread thus far:

If they don't know, I don't feel a need to point it out. If they do know, I don't see the point in rubbing it in.

13. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I have yet to see another 6 or Plus in the wild (I think I may have seen one 6 but can't say for sure as it was in a case). But no, I would not say anything. Chances are they either know, don't care, or have heard it a million times before. And even if they didn't know what's the point in telling them? From what I hear Apple isn't really doing much about it from a warranty standpoint.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Seriously? :rolleyes:

Would you walk up to a new mother and say her baby is ugly?

This is clear case where Minding Your Own Fricking Business is the best path; there is ZERO upside to telling someone their phone is bent and LOTS of potential downside.

15. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Still an Android phone. Just a cheap one now.

16. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I'd wear a t shirt warning iPhone users to check their bendedness.

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You life sounds like it is too centered around your iPhone.

One day when you have a family, mortgage, etc your phone will be less important and your firneds will change.:rolleyes:

18. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

How ugly is the baby? :eek:

19. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

How would I even notice? I'm not exactly focused on the finer details of other peoples' phones.

20. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Sure but your plastic Moto G doesn't sell well either. :D

21. wxman2003 Suspended

Exactly how do you notice slight bends in other people's phones? Are they holding them horizontally long enough for you to see the bend, or are you seeing something that is not there? A person can convince themselves they are seeing something that doesn't exist. These bendgate threads become a form of hysteria and people start seeing bends everywhere. Unfortunately, too many people see what they believe, instead of believe what they see.

22. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I was about to say the same thing Surf. Firstly, what are the odds you will run into people that have iPhone 6/6Plus and then get so close to them that you would notice their phone is bent? Most people mind their own business, at least I do. I don't just get up in people's faces checking out their phones. Heck, we just had a big party and several people were on their cell phones. Not once did I bother to check out what phone they were using. Are people for real on Macrumors sometimes?

23. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

24. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Just exactly how many bent phones have you really seen? I have yet to see someone or even friends that have 6+'s, let alone bent ones. :rolleyes:

25. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I have noticed this with iPhone 5 and 5S as well. I have told some people that their phone is bent, but they don't care. They must think its a feature or something.