Do you think a 690MX for iMac 2013 refresh?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by orionlogic, Mar 25, 2013.

1. orionlogic, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

orionlogic macrumors newbie

I am planning for a new iMac in August. I wonder if Apple gives and upgrade 690 MX option in mid year. Any thoughts about this, in light of previous iMac refreshes particularly on GPU front?

Thanks.

2. kaellar macrumors 6502

Are you aware of the fact that there's no "690mx" GPU at all?
    I'm actually not sure nvidia can come up with something more powerful in 600m series than 680mx, since it is full gk104 silicon that truly pushes the limits for mobile GPUs with the TDP of 122W.

3. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

4. orionlogic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for info, i was making a basic reasoning the fact that for every desktop model Nvidia brings equivalent of that models' notebook version.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

No it will be GTX Titan aka 7xx mobile chips, assuming Apple still sticks with nVidia. Since they're not exist yet, so no.

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

If the refresh is August or later and they're still using 6xx series chips, they will have made a serious error. Really the only way we see some kind of 690m/mx is if they rush a Haswell refresh out the door - and it would be rather pointless to do so.

7. cirus macrumors 6502a

There was no 590m.

8. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

No need for it.
    New Xbox and Play 4 will satisfy us more than we need.

9. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I seriously doubt that the imac will get any sort of refresh before 2014.

10. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

I hope Apple updates the iMac much earlier this year than they did last year.

11. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Typical refresh time for an iMac (when they're not struggling with a new design) is about 9 months. Aug-Sept is feasible.

12. kuppii macrumors newbie

But do you think this is gonna happen?

I'm really not sure if there will be a spec update.

13. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

At this point, I'm thinking you are correct forty2j as Intel's Haswell chips are expected to be released in June.

Portables typically get updates first so we'll more than likely see MacBook Pros shortly thereafter then iMacs a couple months after that.

Personally, I have a 2011 iMac which I am perfectly happy with and see it lasting me at least another 3-5 years from now. I'm looking for a 13" Retina MacBook Pro this year. But I do hope for a quicker update with the iMac because I can imagine how much it sucked for everyone who waited so long for the 2012 iMac refresh.

14. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

There will. It just won't be anything to write home about. I haven't actually heard much on the GPU plans, but last year's mobile GPU gains were much better than average and seem unlikely to be repeated. Haswell is a yawner for desktop chips. The "killer feature" on the 2013 model may well be 802.11ac ("gigabit wifi").

----------

Didn't we just do a silent spec bump for MBPs in February? Might be MBAs (and the Mac Pros) in June, and MBPs in July or Aug, followed by iMacs in Aug or Sept.

We're also hearing iPhones are moving back to June, and they'd really prefer not to bunch up their releases; their profit margins and therefore their stock are suffering from the Big Bang release at the end of 2012. So all speculated schedules must be consumed with copious amounts of salt.

15. kuppii macrumors newbie

So the late 2012 update had such a long overdue because of the redesign.. Okay.

16. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Hard to tell what the next update will bring, but I'm sure Apple will give it a spec update sometime this year with latest CPUs, GPU, RAM and HDD/SSD and maybe a redesign in 2014.

17. orionlogic thread starter macrumors newbie

So the news come today, i was expecting (and trying to ask) something like this:Nvidia introduces GeForce 700m . Aug-Sep. timeframe is feasible.

18. mrmarts, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

mrmarts macrumors 65816

I doubt that there will be a redesign next year, as the 2012 got a huge cosmetic makeover. I predict that there will be no updates for graphic cards this year maybe cpu bumps and changes to wi fi to newer ac standards. However next year i have a gut feeling we will see retina iMacs (starting with a larger screen like the MacBooks) and will have better graphics which I am eagerly waiting for.

19. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Maybe but the big question for many right now is how will the rumored AppleTV play into this.

I do think this year, sometime in the 2nd half well see the usual CPU speed bumps, GPU and other spec's. I don't think we'll see Retina iMac until a redesign but again the AppleTV might play into that if they use 4k screens.

20. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I think it will be closer to 2014 before there is a new iMac. I think later this year will be the Mac Pro and ACD. The iMac is selling well enough as it is and is hardly a slouch. If serious gaming is your thing, then I would question if the iMac was the right computer for you anyway.

21. forty2j, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

It won't. You can't converge a device you sit 2-3 feet away from in a desk chair and a device you sit 6-10 feet away from on a couch. It's been tried. (I actually owned a Gateway Destination.) Whatever Apple has planned in the TV space has nothing to do with whatever they have planned in the desktop space.