Do you think Apple Care would do this for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhixionFilms, Jun 22, 2009.

1. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Im taking my iphone 3g in for a replacement on tuesday night. They are going to exchange it for a "new" refurbished model. Since my current iphone is dying every 30 mins or so, and has dust under the screen.
    Do you think if i asked the genius instead of giving me another 3g, if i can pay an extra 200 for a 3Gs?
    Would this work? Or would they deny me for no reason?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

If you want a new 3gs buy one.

If you want your 3g replaced get it replaced.

5. PhixionFilms thread starter macrumors 6502

This doesnt help me at all.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

LOL, talk about a loaded question! They are certainly going to deny you, but it isn't for "no reason."

7. Torq macrumors regular

The warranty does not cover device upgrades, except in the event that your current device cannot be replaced with the equivalent model.

So it will not be for "no reason" that you get denied.

On top of which, the price delta between a refurbished 3G and a new 3GS is more than $200. There is no such thing as a "new" refurbished model. The statement is a contradiction in terms. The refurbished unit you get will be in like-new condition.

Will not hurt to ask ... but they are going to say "No".

8. PhixionFilms thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the educated answer, and for clearing it up for me. Seems like all there are is kids on these forums now days.

9. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

10. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Where are you getting this $200 figure from?

$200 is for a highly subsidized phone under contract where they're hoping within your contract they'll make the difference back. What you're talking about doing is beyond stupid.

11. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

could work out

But not in the way you think. Others have gotten refurbs replacing their 3g and then sell it with the intention of getting a 3gs.

So the refurbs are pretty good and with Apple overall, they do a good job with this so you can get a decent buck for it.

Then you put the proceeds toward a 3GS.

The forum is pretty conflicted on entitlements. There are always folks acting or seeking same and then there are folks blasting them for it without mercy.
    Happen to fall into the latter camp myself. ;)

This may be the best option for you.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

LOL. Too true. Absolutely ask. The independent Apple Store in my town buys and sells used equipment. Or maybe you will catch someone on their last day of work. ;)

I used to travel out of town for work, so I went to a car rental place for their $19/day hunk of junk. I was chatting with the guy at the counter making small talk and saw someone whip out of the lot in a Mitsubishi Spyder convertable. I started lamenting on how much they probably cost to rent and that I was on a budget and it sure would be nice to drive one yadda yadda yadda. When the guy pulled up with my car it was a Mitsubishi Spyder convertable. Instead of returning it that Friday I extended the contract weekly and kept it for three months at $19/day. I hope the Cavalier I was supposed to drive wasn't too disappointed...