Do you think Apple Engineers / Designers are using the Apple TV 4/4k remote?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Shockwave78, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

This current version of the remote has been out for what 2+ years now? The new white bold ridge on the 4k helps with figuring out what side of the remote is which...for the most part.

But something has got to be done about the remote itself. If the remote is anywhere near your body(not in your hand) there is a 98% chance that the channel or current screen is going to change once you move at all.

Something as simple as making the back/sides of the remote touch sensitive so it knows when someone is actually holding the remote in the correct orientation and intends to use it. Then enable the remotes touch pad.

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yup. The remote is awful. I have only been an Apple TV owner for about six weeks, but we went all-in, cut the cord, got PS Vue, etc, so we use this remote everyday. The touch / slide interface isn't great. I always pick it up in the wrong direction, etc. The gestures aren't that intuitive. I got a harmony, though, and it was worse. Too much lag. We just need Apple to do better...

3. waw74 macrumors 68040

i think they designed and tested it sitting at a well lit desk.

at least they stopped it scrolling if you touched the pad, now you have to pause first,
    when it first came out, you'd bump the remote, and be 15 minutes ahead/behind in your show.

there are some 3rd party bumper cases that people say help with both orientation, accidentally bumping the touch pad, and give it some drop protection. i haven't tried one yet though.

i also use my tv remote over HDMI-CEC a lot of the time, i got used to using that remote once i upgraded to a 4k tv and had to rely on that for netflix / amazon 4K for the past year.

4. 2010mini macrumors 601

Never have this problem. I have the 1st gen remote (without ring) and never had an issue with orientation even in the dark.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

The remote is awful. Very disappointed. Very unlike Apple.

6. MilaM macrumors newbie

The swiping gesture to select items is a bit strange and unintuitive indeed. Especially if you are used to swipe gestures on devices like the iPhone or the iPad. I think I might even prefer the way it worked on the second generation Apple Remote with dedicated buttons for up, right, down, left.

Another thing that bugs me is the placement of the Siri button. I think it should be on row closer to the bottom. Although I've been using the new remote almost daily for a couple of weeks, I still push the Siri button when I actually intend to just press play/pause.

7. err404 macrumors 68020

Personally I’m fine with the remote, but it is third on my frequently used list. First is my Harmony Smart Hub. It is ergonomic, responsive, the button cell battery lasts a year+, it manages all of the devices in my cabinet and has a widget for my phone so I am covered if I can’t find the remote.
    Second is the iOS 11 Control Center widget. This is fast to get to and even has a keyboard. It has most of the physical remotes buttons and even the mic. But it is a bit inconvenient to switch widgets in order to change the volume.
    Third is the Apple TV remote. It is fine, but ultimately has less functionality than my phone or Harmony. That said, since it is not my primary remote, so it is not in a place that it gets bumped.

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

9. stillcrazyman macrumors 68020

stillcrazyman

On my old 4th gen ATV, the remote was smooth and easy to use. On the new 5th gen ATV4k, the remote is laggy, stutters and annoys me that it's not working as well as the old one. I've also resorted to using the Remote app on my iPhone. I'll live with the battery drain.

That little remote - doesn't make sense why it won't work like it's supposed to. Nothing is changed from the previous setup environment.

10. Mekker macrumors newbie

I just installed the new Apple TV 4K and I barely couldn't use the remote from my normal position. The Apple TV is behind the TV. I have the old Apple TV with the same remote. I can use it from my normal position, even from the kitchen the old remote works. I have to stand up and nearly go to the box to get it working flawlessly.

The Apple TV remote app for iOS works without a issue and as one would expect. I see a lot of others have the same problem.