Do you think Apple fixed light blobs in new displays?

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I remember it was hell last year finding a decent one without bright blob/orbs all over the place while watching YouTube in a dimly lot room. Do you think there was enough complaints it's now fixed? Since the higher ups I'm sure we're aware allowing the 1-time swap.

Are the manufacturer displays different this time around?

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I remember it was hell last year finding a decent one without bright blob/orbs all over the place while watching YouTube in a dimly lot room. Do you think there was enough complaints it's now fixed? Since the higher ups I'm sure we're aware allowing the 1-time swap.

Are the manufacturer displays different this time around?
This is why I am waiting for word from those who have pre-ordered. It was a nightmare and I'm willing to wait. If it seems this is a non issue in few weeks I'll be upgrading. Then the wife gets the 2. :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
With 8M+ new iPads about to hit the market, yes some will be less than perfect. It's basic statistics. If there is a .25% defect rate that is 20,000 imperfect units going through a 1000x Internet bitch and moan magnification megaphone.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I hope any light leak issues are sorted, but with these screens being so new, there's no guarrantee.
I was unlucky with my first iPad, and got lucky with the iPad 2.

Last edited:

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
With 8M+ new iPads about to hit the market, yes some will be less than perfect. It's basic statistics. If there is a .25% defect rate that is 20,000 imperfect units x 1000x Internet bitch and moan magnification rate.
Unless you (not you specifically) get one. Anyway I guess I found the 20,000 imperfect batch when I got the 2. :rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Unless you (not you specifically) get one. Anyway I guess I found the 20,000 imperfect batch when I got the 2. :rolleyes:
Actually I did get a defective iPhone 4 screen. It was a bummer, sure. But Apple exchanged it for me. The major point is people need to understand that manufacturing isn't an exact science and every single product made in the world has a built-in defect rate between .25 and 3%. Even something simple like Jelly Bellys.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Actually I did get a defective iPhone 4 screen. It was a bummer, sure. But Apple exchanged it for me. The major point is people need to understand that manufacturing isn't an exact science and every single product made in the world has a built-in defect rate between .25 and 3%. Even something simple like Jelly Bellys.
I think most understand it. QC is the issue.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Hope these displays are of higher quality control than iPad2's on launch.. My first iPad2 had a stuck red pixel (which was very noticeable due to being red) and lots of those "yellow" blobs when the background was dark/black.

Then I sold it off and picked up another a few months later and it was perfect.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How does one call a purported defective screen a nightmare? It's a device with a warranty, no doubt it is easily swapped out. My first iPad's glass wasn't set right. I came in, when stock was extremely limited, walked out with a brand new iPad. It took about 20 minutes, I searched for a parking spot longer.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
How does one call a purported defective screen a nightmare? It's a device with a warranty, no doubt it is easily swapped out. My first iPad's glass wasn't set right. I came in, when stock was extremely limited, walked out with a brand new iPad. It took about 20 minutes, I searched for a parking spot longer.

By saying it was a nightmare?