Do you think Apple is switching away from polycarbonate plastic for the MacBooks???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mox123, Sep 5, 2007.

1. mox123 macrumors 6502

Given what they've done for the iMac and now even the iconic iPod.....the LAST product that defines the consumer line -- MACBOOK-- is the ONLY product left that uses white plastic....will the next macbook revision switch them to aluminum as well????? IF so, that's a HUGE update....:confused:

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They'll change it only if it makes for better recycling, I believe.

I think it's a whole lot more expensive to use metal for everything.

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

As i said at the iMac launch the macbook sticks out like a soar thumb it dose not belong in the line up.
    Like putting a macbook pro for sale on dell's website.

4. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

i believe that they'll make them aluminum, sure if that's what you want.

they'll be colored like the nanos though, i guarentee it if that's the case.

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

This has been rumoured for years.

Not happened yet though.

6. GKThursday macrumors regular

GKThursday

If I was apple, I would announce new macbooks with aluminum enclosures and the shipping date for Leopard around the end of the month, but not shipping them until leopard is out. They don't have much to lose, sales are going to go way down on macs until leopard is out, and at least this way, they keep up a steady pre-order rate.

As for the enclosure, I would make it a three tiered system, much like the nanos were.

Bottom macbook, only in Silver
    Middle macbook, silver + whatever colors they would use
    Top macbook, only in black

I can always hope this is what they do, and they really do have nothing to lose on an early announcement, and may even gain some pre-orders.
    ~Thursday

7. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Apple needs to replace that weak plastic case with metal so it will last longer.

8. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

For the short term ... I doubt it. I think longer term they will transition the MacBook to aluminum but only after they have made sure to "separate" the MacBook Pro even further to ensure the perception that the Pro models are a premium with respect to looks.

9. applefb00 macrumors newbie

This is why I'm buying my MacBook in October with Leopard even if they don't change the MacBook. I really like the white on the MacBooks and i hate the aluminum on the MacBook Pro.:apple::apple::apple::apple:

10. thegrifman macrumors regular

:eek: HERESY! My Macbook Pro demands an immediate apology! Written on official letterhead of course. :p Just kidding.

11. MK2007 macrumors regular

You aren't the only one who feels this way.

I have much respect for the MacBook Pro specs and the users that own them. But in all honesty I have to say that the aluminum case looks really cheap.

I hate that case just as much as you do, and I too plan to buy a standard MacBook. At this time I'm trying to decide whether to get the white or black model. I have owned several iBooks, which influences me to buy a white MacBook. The black case looks quite nice, though.

12. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

it comes down 2 if u want the black so much you pay more $$$$$:apple:

13. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

i hope they stick with the white plastic design for a little while, as i just got my macbook a couple months ago....it's strange that, while i was using my aluminum powerbook for the last 4 years, i always wanted one of those cute white plastic laptop to match my iPod....and now that i have one, they are switching the iPod to aluminum!

also, once the novelty has worn off, i do think that the black macbook looks a little more professional than the white one....and black aluminum seems way more plausible than the white version now that they have got rid of all models white in color (iMac and iPod):eek:

14. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

that's assuming when and if they do, that's what they'll do.

as far as i know, those rumored years have not seen an aluminum macbook

15. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Apple seems more committed than ever to make their computers more recyclable. So it's definitely possible, but don't expect anything before Macworld '08 at the earliest.

An issue from a marketing/design standpoint would be to make the two lines more distinguishable from each other. I wouldn't be surprised if they shift one line to black metal. I'd be more surprised if they colorize Macbooks, though - there's still a lot of hate from the original kiddie iBooks from years past, and I'm skeptical that the bright colors of iPods past and present would look good on a laptop.

16. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I've been lusting after the white MacBooks too long now to ever buy a metal version once I finally get one.

17. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

This might not be fair to Apple, but eying the Macbook Pros from Colorware makes me really wary of rainbow colors on Apple laptops.

Then again, Dell can't keep up with orders on funky-colored laptops, so what do I know?

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Isn't that funny. To me, the mbp casing looks better, but feels weaker. Conversely, the macbook's casing looks like a child's toy(white only, black looks good), but feels sturdy. It's like you can't win.

19. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

From my experience with my old powerbook, the aluminum surface scratches way way way too easily....my only quib really for its design

20. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The white plastic scratches a hell of a lot easier.

21. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

You'll have to pry my plastic Macbook out of my cold, dead hands

Since the Macbook's WiFi reception blows the doors off the Macbook Pro
    (try 'em side by side if you don't believe it), I'll gladly "settle" for the plastic
    case of the Macbook, as it does not interfere with radio waves. Heck, even the (plastic)
    G3 powerbooks have better reception than the Ti and Al Powerbooks - as well as the MBP...

22. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

23. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I've always had envy of the aluminium macbook pro machines and will probably get a refurb or something when the design totally changes. The current MBP would last me for years. Even my MacBook is going strong after a year of constant use.

24. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I read somewhere that they're trying to eliminate all PVC and other non-green materials from their product lineup by 2009

25. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

where did u read that from? the prospectus for investors?