Do you think Apple might include multitasking/wallpapers in earlier iPods?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mr Slippy IV, Jul 15, 2010.

?

Do you think Apple might include multitasking/wallpapers in earlier iPods?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    96.3%
  1. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

It seems like older iPods and iPhones are capable, and the owners of these devices definitely feel snubbed with the release of the new OS. So, the question I bring to you today is, will Apple 'make things right'? Or will they ignore a chunk of their fan base once again?

2. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

No. They stated in the iOS 4 release that iPod touches 1G and iPhones 2G will no longer be updated.

Edit: and besides, the iPhone 3G runs slow on iOS 4. Imagine a 2G one?? It just wouldn't work.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I don't see it happening TBH. People need a reason to upgrade.

4. Mr Slippy IV thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

6. Maximized macrumors newbie

"Hardware can't handle it"

Apple has always included some new "cool" features in their next-generation iPods, such as the "Genius" function in the last-generation iPod Classic while my iPod Classic (which was only one generation before that) didn't support that function. Apple's explanation? The new iPod Classic had a special chip on it that was needed to do the calculations needed for the Genius functionality to work. Rrrright.

Right now, I have a iPhone 3G with the newest iOS4 installed on it. I can't change my background image because "the hardware doesn't support it".

While I am sure there is a certain truth within all of this (the 3G isn't that fast anymore for instance, so multitasking will definately not work well I think), Apple still wants you to buy their new products.

Short answer: definite no. :)

7. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

They won't go back on their decision. Plus, it's a HUGE incentive for 1G/2G touch owners to upgrade. I know I'm buying a 4th gen. :D

8. zjzjn1 macrumors member

I have a second gen ipod touch and i have enabled multitasking and custom wallpaper. It works very, very good! (I have it jailbroken)

9. brandon.8602 macrumors member

nope. if they were, they would have done it already.

10. zjzjn1 macrumors member

Apple did this so the people would buy new iPod Touches! And the hardware (afaik) is same in iPod Touch 1st gen and 2nd gen.

11. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Same here... with the jailbreak it feels like a new touch :)

12. zjzjn1 macrumors member

Yes, when i was jailbreaking it i was thinking qbout lags and stuff, but now even battery is same. No lags att all!

13. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Apple does this because after two years, their mobile devices are basically outdated. The iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G are basically at the end of their life cycle so they do as few as updates possible, and they are running older technology and cannot handle multitasking. I still don't see why Apple can't just put in wallpapers for the hell of it, I know they can. Anyways, like the iPod Touch 1G and original iPhone, the iPhone 3G and Touch 2G will be basically dead and will not continue to recieve updates next year. It's all because Apple knows the business.

14. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I don't think they will. I'm not sure how the newer iPhones/iPod Touches handle multitasking, but I've got a 2nd gen iPod Touch and it doesn't run very well.

Menus are laggy sometimes when swiping, and it takes a much longer time to close an application as compared to before. I jailbroke my iPod Touch using redsn0w, so it runs multitasking, but honestly I feel like removing it. Most of the time it doesn't even work anyway. Not only that, it hogs up the memory just by staying open, and it makes my games laggy, so I end up having to kill al the non-active apps using SBSettings.

15. zjzjn1 macrumors member

OK, so i was trying some multitasking and noticed that iPod wasn't multitasking, it saved the app where i left it and closed it. And yeah it IS laggy when you have more than 4 apps open, but it works for me with 15-20 apps open but then is laggy as hell.