Do you think Apple News is a Feedly killer

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Goldfrapp, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Goldfrapp, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015

Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I wouldn't mind. As long as we can subscribe to any URL and mark articles as read.

What do you think?

2. smizzle macrumors regular

smizzle

I dunno it seems like News tries to guess what you want to read in addition to the subscribed stuff. As someone why just wants to read the stuff I picked I will stick with Feedly for now.

EDIT: Plus it's nice that you can access Feedly on desktop too. I think News is just on iOS...

3. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

4. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

I think it's more of a Flipboard killer.

5. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

6. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I was wondering the exact same thing - if we're able to add any news site we want, other than the ones Apple highlighted today. If so, i would use this. A desktop version would also be very welcome at some point.

7. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

This is the first thing I thought of when they presented this.

I also kind of got worried, oh crap, did Apple run out of ideas? A news app, really? But I can see myself using it though lol

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I don't see the app. Is it even out for IOS9 yet ?

9. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

10. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Just looked at Feedly, there's no option that I see to use it without giving them a Google, Facebook or other social media login.

If true (and I'm happy to learn if this isn't the case), then that makes Feedly a data-mining app.

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I think Feedly is datamining. There's really few other reasons to make people login with social accounts.

12. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

A 9to5Mac article states that with Apple News, you can subscribe to a specific website or blog.

Does the word specific mean any in this case?

13. Goldfrapp, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015

Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

That's an exaggeration. Apps use social logins because they are easy and familiar.

14. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

Not really. Feedly is free for a reason. Free services data mine you. All other major RSS feed services are paid.

15. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It seems more like Apple is trying to reinvent newsstand and make magazine content more visible, rather than setting out to copy flipboard.

16. Goldfrapp, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015

Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Flipboard is dead.

Alas, Feedly's days may be numbered too. And the fact that they never acknowledged the unveiling of Apple News or at least reassured its loyal users in some way or another only goes to show that they are pissed off, nervous, or both.

If Feedly fades into oblivion, so will Feedbin, Feed Wrangler, NewsBlur, Fever, including apps that heavily rely on these services: Reeder, Unread, Byline, Newsify, etc.

Idea: Could Feedly potentially save itself by turning into a news publisher?

Anyway, the wording on Apple's website suggests that Apple News could definitely become your full replacement for Feedly.

Have a look:

[​IMG]

17. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Lots of people just use Feedly for syncing and use third party apps to actually read the content.

Flipboard has been dead for years. It didn't improve in the ways it needed to.

18. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

What I really wanted to know is we can add our own RSS feeds to it, but @Goldfrapp answered that.

I've paid for Reeder on iOS and OS X just to aggregate my sources and save them to Safari's Reading List for later viewing. I wonder if this app can replace Reeder and I wonder if it will be good enough to view in-app.

19. KALLT macrumors 601

It'll likely use something like Safari Reader to show RSS content, I'm sure.