Do you think Apple sent me a locked iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cbeet85, Dec 3, 2011.

1. cbeet85, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

cbeet85 macrumors newbie

I just recieved my factory Unlocked iphone 4s 32GB and tried to activate it by my T-mobile sim card, but it didn't work!!!!!

I tried many t-mobile sim cards they didn't work also ,but when I tried a sim card (I brought it from my country) it worked because it was connecting with at&t network!!! then I tried to switch it to t-mobile network ,it asked me for the activation again and didn't work!!!

so there is a problem with t-mobile right?

but actually I have my old iphone 4 , the t-mobile sim card works well with it?!

what do u think people? did Apple send me a locked iphone by mistake?

BTW : I bought it from Apple store online

see the pic below
    http://i43.tinypic.com/13ztm5j.jpg

After that I contacted Apple but they said you have to contact your carrier (t-mobile) to activate your phone!!

then I contacted t-mobile ,, actually they didn't have any idea about what i was talking about!!!!
    however, I changed my sim card to a new one and its still not working

Finally , I went to Apple store then I called apple customer service (again!) they all told me that I have to contact t-mobile

but actually it doesn't make sense because my t-mobile sim card works well with my old iphone 4

what I should do ????? please help:confused:
    (i'm sure its unlocked because I paid more than $800 for it and without a contract)

2. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

So have you tried activating the phone with the simcard that do works, then try to run the phone like that and then simply change the sim-card while the phone is still on and it still gives you such problem?

That seems like a locked phone to me.. What country of origin did you buy it from?

3. cbeet85 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I've tried it and it asks me to activate it again!

I live in San Diego CA and I bought it from the US online apple store

4. KPOM macrumors G5

It sounds like they sent you a locked phone. If you are within your return period, I'd recommend sending it back. Perhaps try going to an Apple Store and see if they will swap it out for you with a device-only AT&T phone (which should be unlocked).

5. yrchern macrumors member

If the sim card from your country works, it doesn't look like the phone is locked (unless it's locked to the carrier in your country). It shows AT&T simply because it's roaming on AT&T's network. I guess you are having the same problem that some users have which 4S does not recognize the SIM card. Maybe you can bring it to a T-mo store to see if they can give you a SIM that works. Or you can return it and order another one.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I'd take it into an Apple store (with receipt) and tell them what's going on. They MAY be able to get it unlocked for you there, or at least get the ball rolling so that you may get an unlocked phone in the least amount of time possible.

8. Braulioe macrumors newbie

If there is problem with the unlocked iPhone 4s and you want to return it, review the written return policy at the Apple store site. Don't listen to the people here who advise you to go to an Apple store.

I had a problem with my unlocked iPhone 4s. It has been returned to Apple via FedEx and a replacement is en route from China.

From the Apple site:

iPhone Return Policy

If you are not fully satisfied with your iPhone purchase, you can return your undamaged iPhone to the Apple Online Store within 30 calendar days from shipment for a full refund by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE. If you return your iPhone within 30 calendar days from shipment, you will not be charged a restocking fee. The iPhone must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation. For more details, refer to iPhone Help page.

Note: At this time, iPhone is ineligible for return at an Apple Retail Store.

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have no idea how iPhones get factory unlocked, but have you considered calling the online store? They may be able to do remotely, if that's possible? Or maybe since it's not a hardware problem, they may be able to refer you to an Apple store (of course they will notify them). This can save you the time of sending back the phone and leaving you with no phone for some time.

This is all a guess.

10. cbeet85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it
    Actually it worked after I reset it for several times , I will tell how:

The first reset (didn,t work) , the second (did't work) ...... After the tenth Reset it worked finally haha

and it didn't show me the messege " congratulations your iphone has been unlocked"

Just worked silently :)

i think its a bug or something!