Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
usually if something is coming out ull see news and rumors

Iv got a feeling this year they will just release watch os 6 not a new watch

casperes1996

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yeah, I think the watch is on a yearly release cycle. But it may not be more than a spec bump. I would expect similar to an S generation phone upgrade

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
usually if something is coming out ull see news and rumors
Nope, this isn’t it true, as a matter fact, quite the opposite. There was hardly any rumors for the Series 4 Apple Watch before it launched, (aside from a larger display), and the majority the rumors actually surfaced just two weeks prior to the keynote at the end of August. The Apple Watch is the one device they’re actually very few rumors, because they have primarily only major supplier (Quanta computer), And traditionally there’s not really much for hardware leaks, because it looks the same every year.

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010
I think it will. I hold out hope that it will be time for Always On display for months but once Apple announced watch app can run independently of iPhone at WWDC my hope was shattered. It will be impossible for Always On now when new apps will use significantly more energy from the watch the ever before.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Yes. Alongside the new iPhones
Well, given the context of new iPhones launch every single year at the same time, I wouldn’t correlate the Apple Watch to that. But more specifically, I think more indicators will be available towards the end of August to know more about the Series 5 Apple Watch, if one does launch in September.

outsidah

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Nothing concrete, but I’d say the signs are there it will happen. I do personally wish they had an upgrade program if they are going to keep to the yearly cycle.
I’m hoping to see the return of the white ceramic personally. It went so well with so many bands IMO.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

MorphMan

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013

release dates from wikipedia below. So I'd say absolutely yes.

Original:
April 24, 2015; 4 years ago
Series 1 and Series 2:September 16, 2016; 2 years ago
Series 3: September 22, 2017; 21 months ago
Series 4: September 21, 2018; 9 months ago

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Nothing concrete, but I’d say the signs are there it will happen. I do personally wish they had an upgrade program if they are going to keep to the yearly cycle.
I’m hoping to see the return of the white ceramic personally. It went so well with so many bands IMO.
I like your logic. I think the Apple Watch is expensive enough _and_ popular enough where Apple could implement an upgrade program for those who do want to upgrade annually. The only downside, is that there really is no guarantee that the Apple Watch would be upgraded every single year, like the iPhone.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2018
No mention in of sleep tracking in the keynote so I think that and hence longer battery life will be the new features of the series 5.
They have to include native sleep tracking at some point as all their competitors have it. Not sure about always on display, that doesn't really bother me but I would like just a tiny improvement in raise to wake speed personally.

Reactions: Dulcimer

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
Still can't believe people made this prediction about Series 5 being skipped.

I mean, wearables are Apple's fastest growing product segment, so they should take a break right?

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
Still can't believe people made this prediction about Series 5 being skipped.

I mean, wearables are Apple's fastest growing product segment, so they should take a break right?
i think it was just the pure lack of rumors aside from casing. i admit i was one of the people genuinely worried this year would be a skip but then apple blew my mind with the AOD