Do you think Apple Watch Version 2 will be circular?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by PeterRollback, Mar 9, 2015.

1. PeterRollback macrumors regular

Do you think Apple Watch Version 2 will be circular?

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

No. It's all about notifications and informational real-estate. I've pondered this quite a bit … even the rectangular screen makes more sense than a square one.

3. mackinmike macrumors 6502

never say never. think of that big screen you got there on the iphone6. boom. :rolleyes:

4. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

No, not for the next one, but I would not rule it out in the future, they may decide that more than one model would be an idea at some stage.
    Would be quite a few years away though if ever.

You will see a much larger range of shapes and sizes from the competition though, which is nice as not everyone wants to wear tha same thing.

Good to have a choice especially when it comes down to fashion.

6. technosix macrumors 6502a

Apple is more predictable and conservative than they like to admit. The execs are getting to be old guys also. Innovative is a word they like, but find hard to deploy.

I'd expect the second gen watch to look identical on the exterior if for no other reason than to prop up resale of the first gen model.

----------

The display that Apple agonized over for two years before caving into public demand.

7. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I actually see this as a possibility for several years. If the Apple Watch is "referencing traditional watch vocabulary," it may be in their best interest to keep the designs somewhat unchanged. That's how brands like Rolex have become iconic.

8. wolfboy macrumors regular

They will definitely release a circular version, despite what they say about them now. The Apple Watch has a ton in common with Marc Newson's Ikepod watches. See here:
    http://www.cultofmac.com/295250/spo...-straps-look-just-like-marc-newsons-old-ones/

If we were to infer an Apple Watch would have similarities to the ikepods, then the hardware would look something like these. Just imagine them with the Apple Watch homescreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Big difference is the Ikepod isn't designed for displaying text.

10. st0k3d macrumors member

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Apple Watch 2:

Thinner
    Faster
    100mm
    Safari much snappier
    Floppy Drive

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

While a nice design for an analog watch, the insane amount of information on that face is pointless when you have apps that can display the same information without requiring everything to be on the screen. All of those information layers can be accessed by swiping left, right, up or down on a halfway-decent app.

Also, most computer parts are not rounded. I'm guessing that the Moto watch that's round and any others like that have wasted space underneath the face. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But almost every computer part I have seen that doesn't spin is rectangular.

13. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

True, but Apple did not have to change the user interface just to increase the display size. Maybe sometime on the future, but there is no chance in hell Apple would just go from rectangular shape of the watch to circular that soon. I think they will only do it on the future if the circular shaped smart watches become popular.

14. jnick macrumors member

If they change to circular, it would render all of their current bands incompatible. Therefore, I don't think we will see a major design change for at least 2 years

15. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

What's the appeal of a circular watch other than the fact that it's traditional? Wrists are rectangular when viewed from above. Seems circular watches are just pocket watches you can wear on your wrist, and pocket watches got their form from necessity (gears).

16. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Maybe they'll make a circular Cinema screen, too?

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Tradition is a pretty big appeal.

Heck, look at the Apple Watch for proof of that. They went with an overwhelmingly watch-like shape (square version), straps, name, even a crown, in an attempt to evoke nostalgic jewelry feelings.

Pocketwatches are flat rounded shapes so they can more easily fit in and out of pockets.

As far as round for clocks in general, it's because time is based on rotation, after all. From sundials to clocks that follow the orbits of planets and the moonphases, it's all about going around and around :)

--

One consideration is that square watches can't be made resistant to underwater pressure anywhere near as deep as round watches can.

Moreover, you cannot put a rotating diver's timing bezel, or a pilot's rotating E6B slide rule on a square face.

breitling.jpg

--

I would say that round makes the most sense for a clock face, because then the hands and the markings are always equidistant.

Conversely, text makes more sense in a rectangular display.

So I propose that they should be combined. Use the full circular display just for round watchfaces, and the interior square part for text apps.

For example, because of its large bezels, an Apple Watch sized text display could fit inside the Moto 360 display:

apple-moto360-size.png

So a future Apple Watch could be round for watchfaces, but just use the interior for legacy apps.

18. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

The OS is written from scratch assuming the exact rectangle dimensions the watches have.

I say it will never be round.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The next version definitely won't be round. I don't see it happening in the future, but there is no way to know for sure.

20. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Not likely. They said in September that round doesn't work well for notifications and messages. Additionally, none of the Android round watches (or square) are flying off the shelves. Apple only gave in to big iPhone screens to compete. So unless there is some good reason to go round...