Do you think Apple Watch will monitor sleep?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sayhitokyle, Sep 28, 2014.

1. sayhitokyle macrumors member

sayhitokyle

I know most people will need to take it off to charge it overnight, but you guys think the Apple Watch with have some kind of sleep monitoring capabilities, or maybe even third party apps to support this?
    -Apologies if this has already been asked.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If someone can make a $ selling a sleep App then the answer is obvious.;)

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i don't see it doing that. I wouldn't want to wear that thing while i sleep, it needs to be charged anyways.

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Probably. Either officially, or through apps. It's already a feature in quite some smartwatches already, and it would be great to have in HealthKit.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Interesting though, though when would we charge it then?

6. McCool71 macrumors 6502a

Of course it will. Most smartwatches are already doing that.

7. BSben macrumors 6502a

Where does this obsession with sleep monitoring come from?
    I go to bed, fall asleep, wake up, job done!
    If some toy tells me that I didn't sleep well, I might worry about that and will probably sleep much worse the next night.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sleep is BY far the activity we spend the most time doing. Almost a full ⅓ of our entire life is spent in sleep. Sleep also has a BIG effect on your health and even life expectancy. While the systems used are more 'toys' as you say, still more information and knowledge is ALWAYS better than less.

Also as you age the "I go to bed, fall asleep, wake up, job done!" patters unfortunately change. They can also be effected by many things like obesity or sleep apnea. Having an app might help enlighten someone that changes in behavior or health need to be made or addressed is a positive.

9. odds macrumors 6502

Yes, it will undoubtedly be able to monitor sleep patterns. I bet there will be some neat apps that help people learn how to lucid dream, too.

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

For a while, I was using the "Sleep Cycle" app which would wake me at my minimum REM prior to my desired wake-up time. It was quite effective, but it was a PITA to secure my phone under the fitted sheet every night. Hence, I stopped using it.

Having the watch figure out my REM cycle would be good... except the obvious question on when to charge the watch. If it could charge in 30 minutes when I take my shower, get dressed, etc... that would be fine, but I expect that it will take longer to charge.

/Jim

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I go to sleep just before midnight as I can feel I'm tired by then and know it's time I should be getting to bed for work in the morning.

In the morning my alarm goes off, and I get up, just with enough time to get myself ready and have breakfast and get to work.

I can't wait to see how a Sleep App is going to make this scenario better for me :D

12. dthree36 macrumors regular

Depends on battery life. If this sucker only gets about a day on a charge, then you will be putting it on the nightstand and charging it along with your phone. The answer to sleep might be an "accessory" that you put on your bed or under your pillow. I am hoping for more info because at the moment, apple has marketed a fantastic demo and nothing more.

13. Zxxv Suspended

I heard it'll wake you up to tell you your asleep. It sounds awesome. But when to charge it?