Do you think Apple will allow some form of jailbreaks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dwalls90, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Isn't it a little odd that Comex was brought on as an intern, yet he is still running his jailbreak me website? Could this in any way signify Apple is adapting at least some portions of jail breaking from jailbreak developers? We already saw this with the notifications implementation of iOS5.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

He hasn't started yet, he begins working for Apple next week.

As to your question, no I don't think Apple is going to allow any form or Jailbreaking, if anything, Comex is there to help patch any vulnerabilities Apple leaves open to prevent future Jailbreaking.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No. That goes against their business model concerning the App Store.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Pretty sure his jailbreak me domain will go offline once he starts.

6. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Probably when they allow you to install OSX on a PC without hacks.

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

They will copy the jailbreak community since iOS5 basically has new features that has been found in Cydia for years.

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

This is the reason why I'm starting to look at different Android phones. Stock iOS doesn't do it for me. With all the delays with upcoming phones, I still have time to decide but..

Jailbroken iOS > Android > Stock iOS

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Nope, Apple will never do that.

However, they might look into the jailbreak community and find features such as the new Notification System, to use on future iOS upgrades. I think in the future you can expect to see majority of the legal tweaks and all, except Winterboard, themes, GameBoy emulator, etc.

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Not gonna happen.
    Comex is just going to fill security holes that he finds in all the iOSes. He'll be working for the man now.

No idea what will happen to his site - I can't imagine Apple could make him take it down. I'm sure they would have done it already if they could have. However if it keeps getting updated once he starts working for Apple then I'm sure there'll be hell to pay.

11. Biolizard macrumors 6502

It'll be in his contract that the site has to go down; Apple aren't stupid. Expect it to go down very soon after he starts work, if not before.

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

No way in hell. Jailbreaking undermines the app store, hurts the legitimate developers, and is a constant source of irritation to Apple. It's a great move to hire a jailbreaking expert to help lock down security. :apple:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do you think Apple will allow some form of jailbreaks?

Not going to happen.

14. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Unfortunately since most people don't jailbreak, never.

I don't know how it all works but I was thinking they could probably come up with a way to validate an app install as genuine before it can be run. Sort of how current Norton and McAfee suites are almost impossible to crack. Besides the apps are so cheap anyway with an extremely hard hack most people would just pay for them, or so we can hope :p. I mean there are jailbreak apps that you have to pay for to open up simple locks that cost 10 times the price of a popular game on appstore. So not all of us jailbreakers do it for free apps. Especially when almost every good app has a lite version for free try anyway. If it's worth it putting down a few bucks for it isn't going to break the bank.

But yeah this is just a dream. If the i5 is impossible to jailbreak the tiny few of us have no choice but to put up or just move on to something different. Glad there is some decent competition at least.

15. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Jail Breaking is cracking the iPhones security. While it has been for the most part benign does not mean people have not been hurt doing this. The Jail Breaking community's greatest gift to the non-jail breaking community is pointing out security holes. This alone is reason enough to hire Comex. It could also be because Comex is a smart guy who wants a real job.

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Exactly. I think it's more of a preemptive strike to remove any vulnerabilities before a new version of IOS is released.

17. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08