Do you think Apple will bring out a tablet that's an independent device?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

What I would like to see is a Tablet from Apple that's an independent device in it's own right.

At the moment, it's very clear that Apple see the iPad just as a portable extension of your main computer.

You have to connect it to a computer before you can use it, and when using it as Apple intended, not using 3rd party tricks that some people do. You dock the iPad back to your main machine to add and remove data from it using iTunes.

Yes, I know some people use 3rd party apps and cloud storage to use their iPad in a slightly different way, but that's not the way Apple have designed it. It's just really a mobile extension of you main machine which you can access your media on and do a small amount of creation on.

Before I say any more, yes I know some will argue this point, but again, I'd say this is how it's been designed by Apple, even though you may use work arounds to use it slightly differently.

Going back to my main question:

Do you think Apple might make another tablet, that is not designed, fundamentally to be used in this way?
    A tablet that you turn on, and it just works. You can create and delete data, you can access iTunes if you wish, do all the things you would use, say a laptop for.

The only reason you would connect it to another machine would be to add/remove files, which you could do over wireless anyway, or perhaps take a backup. Or you could backup to another Apple tablet.

Do you think we are stuck with Apple making tablets as they do now? Fundamentally desktop extensions with an umbilical cord still attached, or might they offer a full independent machine in the future also?

2. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Yes, they will. Eventually (years from now) they will merge the iPad and MacBook Air lines. The distinctions right now are even sort of blurry.

3. Twenty5 macrumors regular

funny.. I wrote about this exact same "issue" just yesterday at my blog (check signature). While I don't believe that Apple will release a second more independent tablet, I do think that they will make the experience more and more seamless over time. With the data centers opening and the Mobile me revamp being the first few steps.

http://roaringthoughts.com/2011/03/if-the-ipad2-is-a-post-pc-device/

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I believe they will. What I imagine is a MacBook Air form factor, but the keyboard is attached magnetically and it separates when you want to use it like an iPad. :)

If they truly want to live up to the "Post-PC" thing they've started, they will HAVE to make an independent tablet.

5. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

first i thought that they wont do that but after reading the post above me made me wonder if i would like to use a device as described above. it couls attach the same way as the smart cover and have sort of a mix of osx and ios. but hopefully not yet maybe in a couple of years.

6. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

7. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

I do agree with your points.

Talking about a "Post PC Device" is a bit silly now, based on what Apple offer us today, with the whole iTunes, and the syncing only one way, it's very clear Apple still see the iPad as just a mobile extension of a desktop computer.

Though I accept using 3rd party apps you can use it for more than that.

8. JamesSmart macrumors newbie

JamesSmart

I think they should either make iPad 3 unique with Snow Lepord (Or what ever the current operating system is) or a new device with a new shape :)

9. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I think so. I find the 10.7 convergence stuff to be a bit confusing and disorganized, but I bet in a year it will all make sense when iOS and OSX start getting new hardware.

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yep, I actually was saying something like this when we were hotly discussing what the Apple tablet would look like. I wanted a MacBook Pro whose screen would detach from the base and become an iOS device.

Since magnets are already in the iPad,a kickass accessory would be a smart cover with a Bluetooth keyboard design printed on it. *runs to the patent office*

11. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Remember, Apple wants you to buy more hardware. If you have different devices that all seem dependent on each other, you'll buy more. For example, you get an iPad, and say oh it needs to sync to iTunes. Then you realize that iTunes is better on a Mac than on a PC. Well, why not buy a Mac then too? Then they've got you.

I think the iPad and the Macbook Air will eventually come together, but for now, Apple is happy to make it seem like a Mac is still necessary.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The cynic in me says that it's pretty clear that Apple considers new devices in light of how they can be moneymaking portals into their media and app stores.

So while Apple might create a future tablet that doesn't require a physical tether to a host computer, it will almost certainly require some kind of (paid?) connection into Apple's cloud structure for downloads and storage.

That's what I think the N.C. facility could be for.

13. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Apple are in the process of building a vast datacenter for an as-yet-unannounced purpose.

I think we'll see some ability to sync to the cloud in a future revision of iOS. That's what the data centre is for... and that's the 'enabling technology' to allow independent tablets.

14. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

15. elan123 macrumors 6502

Yes, Apple has never been very up to date on the latest inventions... :confused:

16. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

What, never, never, never?

Some people have no imagination...

17. Meever macrumors 6502a

I want ios 5.0 to branch the OS. A tablet OS that is itunes independent, that supports a new type of notification, widgets, UI overhaul that utilizes the larger screen, etc, etc. And then a iPhone/iPod ios that keeps the clean simple UI.

Doubt it'll happen. From what it looks like the iPad and iPhone will always share hardware....

18. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

I have to say that the notifications arebad but the rest of the os like the UI is pretty nice. I wouldn't want to have a new UI because the old one may be 'booring' but it works quite well. For me personally (and i know a lot of people disagree) a file system on the ipad would really be a bad thing. I just mean that my old nokia phone had a filesystem and it was hard to find some files from the phones own file browser. The only filr system i'd like to have on the ipad would be some kind of a drag and drop folder for pictures and videos.

19. weespeed macrumors 6502

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/20/microsoft-and-asus-show-off-all-the-stylish-stylus-action-you-ca/

If ASUS can do it and run full windows 7, also run photoshop on a tablet.
    APPLE can

But I don't think they will. It'll eat away at their iPad, MBA, MBP 13 sales.

Look at it this way. A lot of people who have an iPad also have either a MBA, MBP or some other notebook/pc.

With a device like the ASUS slate why would you need anything else? It's like a MBP 13 and Ipad in one.

I think in a year we will see tablets like the ASUS get to the iPad 1 size, and more people will buy it for content creation as well as consumption.
    Just my opionion.

20. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

All I have to say is adding files to my iPad via iTunes sharing sux. CCK, USB drive and iFile is so much faster.

21. zenio macrumors 6502

Rumor has it the sole purpose of this new datacenter is to generate even more revenue for Apple.

The only way Apple would change the way they lock down the Eco system would be if it tripled their profits.

22. admanimal macrumors 68040

I think you are confusing Apple's vision for the iPad with the practical reality of how it needs to work today. I guarantee you that Steve and any other product visionaries at Apple see the iPad as a device that will work completely independently of any other device in the future. It is just that the infrastructure is not quite there yet to make this happen.

You mean a for-profit company has reinvested some of their cash in order to generate future revenue? What evil schemes will Apple think of next?!?! We can only hope that other companies don't find out about this heinous business plan, or we'll never get everything we want for free!

23. keigo macrumors regular

trust me Steve Job will.. and it will appear in the next iPad3 with super retina display... better then 1080 display...

The rumors had been leak....

Photo of Apple developer testing it....

[​IMG]

24. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The Apple iPad2 hardware is the best around but the software limits what the iPad could really be. What a shame as the iPad2 could be so much more.

25. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

You mean vice versa