Do you think Apple will "enhance" Leopard as time goes on?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Oct 28, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Remember when people complained about things in Tiger and suddenly in just a point upgrade, they gave us the widget manager in Dashboard? Do you think if enough people complain, that they'll add some more useful features to Leopard for free in a small point upgrade?

For some reason I think Leopard wasn't completely done but, it was done ENOUGH for release until they could secretly sneak some more stuff in there during normal updates. I wonder why everything is vector-based except the scroll bars now. (It may not be ONLY the scroll bars but, that's one of the only things that didn't scale up nicely when using resolution independence.)

What are everyone's thoughts?

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Well i suppose we'll see Apple apps updated to take advantage of Core Animation, and i'm sure bits will be added here and there. 10.5.3 is my bet for full ZFS support.

Alternatively, come next WWDC they'll just show us the start of 10.6 and we'll all start speculating about that, instead. Steve did say 12-18 month cycles, didn't he?

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Of course I think Apple will enhance it. Tiger shaped up nicely by 10.4.10 and I think you right about them not being completely done. Will res ind. come? Probably. I think I read that Apple said we would get it by 2008 or something.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Don't you mean 10.5.3 instead of 10.6.3? and then 10.6 not 10.7?

Also, I completely agree that ZFS is coming in Leopard. It's one of the thing they probably wanted to get in the GM release.

5. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I hear that there will be no updates... 10.5.0 is it.

6. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Nonsense! ELABORATE.

I surely hope so. There appears to be several loose ends on the release version. While the OS seem very fast and stable, there's still lots of room for improvement.

7. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Ha, yes. I seem to be an OS out of sync.

8. Deej macrumors regular

I agree!

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Software is never done. That's life.

Of course things will improve, here's how:

[1] 2008 is when Apple said they will be ready to ship very high resolution monitors (upwards of 200dpi), so that is when they will also have a Res Independent UI.

[2] Using Time Machine over Airport was obviously pulled at the last minute, quite understandably for two reasons:

[a] Backup has to work, no debates, no grey areas. Internally I imagine Apple will be absolutely furious about missing the Aperture / Time Machine bug.
    If they delayed the software again it would have been a bad idea. You should slip features, not deadlines.

[3] Full ZFS support may be added.

[4 ] Apps like PhotoBooth, Front Row, Bootcamp, Safari 3 were added to Tiger as beta and shipped for real in Leopard. I imagine the same strategy will be implemented during the end of 10.5 life cycle as it was a great success. These apps have certainly benefited from "time in the wild".

10. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Where did you hear this? got a link to an article?

11. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

They'd better enhance it. I'm pretty disappointed right now.

12. oceanmonster macrumors regular

i bet that they will have the new scroll bars in, in one of the point updates. And they will probably put the easy mac windows restart back in in a point update.

13. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Don't Feed The Trolls!

14. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

i do like leopard, but feel that i was expecting more. it seems like a cross between 10.4 and 10.7 or even 11 (i know 11 is pushing it). it has a new finder, doc and menu bar but at the same time, things like the scrolling bars are just like 10.5

i too get the feeling like apple wanted to add more to leopard but didnt want to delay the released. i am glad it is out though. i would not be surprised if there are some "big" changes by 10.5.1 or 10.5.2

anyone know around when we should see 10.5.1?

15. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

WWDC, State of the Union.

Attached Files:

16. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

No, its true, I ate lunch with Steve Jobs last week and he said that apple will issue no updates for Leopard.

17. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Apparently you were on drugs or something when you "had lunch with Steve"

There's ALWAYS room for improvement. Leopard will certainly see gradual enhancements through updates. ;)

18. Djmx macrumors 6502

Hahahah!! :rolleyes:

19. tronic72 macrumors regular

Of course.

That's the whole purpose of Apple's Feedback Page. Although some users like to attack those of us that dare to find fault with Apple products, Apple are actually quite progressive and DO LISTEN.

My2c

20. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

No, its perfect. Apple can't possibly improve. 10.5.0 is it. Period.

21. Eluzion macrumors 6502

I think we'll see mostly bug fixes and some small improvements but anything major will be saved for 10.6. It makes sense, from a business stand point. I can already see it, "400 new revolutionary features" with the primary features being "Adjustable menu bar opacity, Finder tabs, options to switch between 2D and 3D dock" and so on...