Do you think Apple will ever allow home screen widgets?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by shenfrey, May 15, 2015.

1. shenfrey, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015

shenfrey macrumors 68000

The only feature (in my OPINION) that even remotely sways me towards ever picking up an Android device, are the home screen widgets. I think it makes the android operating system both functional but also more aesthetically pleasing. I would love to have a google search bar on my home screen for example.

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I would think that home screen widgets would be detrimental to battery life. And I would think background app refresh would have to be enabled for the relevant widget to update. Many people, myself included, keep background app refresh off for individual apps in order to lengthen battery life.

3. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Do you think Apple will ever allow home screen widgets?

My old HTC M8 had good and in some cases even much better battery life than my iPhone 6 plus. And I don't think the battery sizes are dramatically different.

4. Mildredop macrumors 68020

As an Android user, my battery easily lasts a day and a half, sometimes two days, so widgets don't affect my battery life.

5. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

As an owner of both devices I wonder, how did you manage to have more than 5-6 hours on screen time with the M8? I get almost ten hours with my iPhone Plus, so I don't really understand how you can get better battery on the M8...

6. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm glad you asked mate, I used a custom rom called Android Revolution HD, it's very simple to install. I can fetch you a link if you like?

7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

8. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Care to elaborate on this?

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I don't think it'll ever happen either. I was totally into it when I had my Android devices, but I enjoy the Today widgets a lot more. The weather information and Power Toggle shortcuts made more sense in the notifications panel too.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

They might add something like glances that the watch has and that might be off to the side like where spotlight used to be, but not likely that there would be something in the home screen itself.

11. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I had an M8 for a few months when it came out and the battery was fantastic considering the size of it. 5-6 hours was easy. How are you measuring the screen on time on your 6+?

As for the widgets using battery I don't find much of a difference in battery if I have my widgets updating every 30 minutes or every couple of hours so I don't think they are that heavy on battery.

12. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Making more live icons like the clock and calendar would be a better solution rather than having giant ugly widgets or glances. Example being having the weather app actually show the temp and cloudy/raining/snowing/sunny/day/night instead of the static weather icon.

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Apple seems to treat the home screen as a glorified app launcher that you use to go from one app to another. As such, you are not expected to spend too much time staring at your home screen (or any widget that happens to reside on it); the bulk of your usage time would be in one app or the other.

That they further introduce widgets that reside in your notifications shade seem to drive this belief home even further.

That Android does it shows that there isn't really any technological barrier to implementing this. As with many of their design choices, from the 1 USB port on the Macbook to lack of CD-drives on a Mac desktop, this decision seems purely philosophical.