Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Was just thinking... Would it be possible for apple to bring out some sort of patch file that you can drop onto a external hard drive along with a exported iTunes library file so that apple tv can read it when the computers not on?
Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do and would be ideal for having a External HDD hooked up to AEBS.

What do people think?

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I doubt it. After all, you can sync your material to the AppleTV so that you can access your media when your computer's not on. That's why I got the 160 GB model, so my computer doesn't have to be on all the time.

I could see Apple going to larger hard drives, which would help those who need more than 160 GB. It might also make sense for Apple to enable the USB port for adding HDs.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Was just thinking... Would it be possible for apple to bring out some sort of patch file that you can drop onto a external hard drive along with a exported iTunes library file so that apple tv can read it when the computers not on?
Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do and would be ideal for having a External HDD hooked up to AEBS.

What do people think?

You can do that today with a little bit of hacking - having an external USB hd as your main itunes library

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
You can do that today with a little bit of hacking - having an external USB hd as your main itunes library

Yeah I have my Apple TV reading from my iMac's external hard drive which holds everything I own.

jdylan

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
Bagram, Afghanistan
Everything I own

:confused:
Yeah I have my Apple TV reading from my iMac's external hard drive which holds everything I own.

Wow, how do you get all your clothes and books in there? Does it sort and organize your shirts? Do you have some kind of scanner like in TRON to get it all in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.