Do you think Apple will ever let users change default applications in iOS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quietstormSD, Aug 15, 2012.

1. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Do you think Apple will ever let users change default applications in iOS? Things such as the browser (Safari), weather, maps, stocks, mail, and even twitter, etc.

I wish Apple would allow the user to change these default applications.

I prefer Chrome over Safari
    I prefer The Weather Channel over iOS default Weather app
    I prefer TweetBot over Twitter, Inc's app
    I fear that I will prefer the Google maps app over the iOS maps app when iOS 6 comes out.

Quite frankly I think the only real quality app that is a default app on iOS is the stocks app, out of all things. (Music, Videos, iTunes, App Store etc are great too, but I can understand how these apps are the default apps for iOS).

Do you think Apple will ever loosen it's grip in this department in iOS?

2. lazard macrumors 65816

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Prolly not, but "ever" is a long time
    I don't see it in the near or foreseeable future

4. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

Even on a non-jail broken phone you can change the default apps. Just make a folder for all the default apps called "crap" or whatever, move them into the folder and move that to your last homescreen. Then move all your primary third-party apps to your first homescreen. Turn on notifications for your third-party apps and turn them off for the default ones. That's what I did.

5. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I did something similar... Although, the fold is labeled "Utilities"

On my workphone, i jailbroke it... so i removed Compass, weather, newsstand, and a few others from the springboard.

6. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

In terms of having Chrome be your default browser and others as noted, I don't see it happening. Apple (like Google) wants you to use THEIR apps in THEIR ecosystem so THEY control the experience. After all they see it as perfect so they don't see a reason to change it.

Though its your phone and you should have control Apple will tell you to get an Android phone if you want choice. You know you can change the default apps in Android.

7. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I won't get in to my theories as to why, but in my opinion if we don't start to see this stuff (customization, toggles, etc) in iOS 7, we will never see it on a stock iPhone.

8. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Doesn't "completely" make apps default, though. Making a third-party app a default app will allow you to completely forget about the native ones.

If you hit an email addy in Chrome, it will open up the native Mail app instead of a third-party app such as Sparrow or Gmail.

The lock screen's camera slider will ONLY open up the native camera instead of a third-party one like Camera+ or Instagram.

Speaker docks that plug into the 30-pin connector will only work with the default Music app and not third party ones such as Cartunes.

If you ask Siri for directions, it uses the default Maps app rather than TomTom or MotionX.

9. irDigital0l Guest

You can...just put all the apps u don't want in a folder on like the last page and put the alt ones on your home page.

As for defiant apps, apple is never going to allow google chrome as your default search.

If google releases their own map and tweet it is a 3rd party app.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You have a higher probability of being struck by lightening.

11. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Apple allows it on the mac so im not sure why its not allowed in IOS.
    I guess becuase IOS is much more mainstream and succesful they want to control more of the experience.

In any case a simple jailbreak will let you set some defaults like the browser.:D
    Jailbreaking is as simple as plugging your phone into your computer and clicking jailbreak.

12. LoraoTX macrumors member

People are never happy with what they've go. They always, always want more and more!
    I hope apple doesn't give us that ability.. giving too many options to the public creates problems. If people want to make changes on their phones, they can design their own! lol ;)

13. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

[​IMG]

14. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Apple have and always will sandbox the iOS as to keep everything optimal {in their eyes}

15. lazard macrumors 65816

which is unfortunate because iOS runs much smoother and is much more aesthetically pleasing after you jailbreak it.

16. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

That doesn't make them the default application - it just hides them.

17. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

So you prefer chrome and google maps- you might prefer android. It's not as bad as it used to be. I still prefer iOS right now (although I do jailbreak) but android is actually becoming a very nice OS.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Flame suit on?

FORSHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I'm not flaming anyone. It's good to experiment with different OS's to find what works best for you. Like I said, iOS is still for me, but at least I can say I try other platforms instead of just coming on here and spitting out the generic anti-Android comments. Most of the android haters on here have not spent five minutes actually using it.

It's worth a shot, OP, if customization is your thing you might find happiness there. Otherwise, there are jailbreak options that allow you to change the default browser and which app the lockscreen camera button launches.

20. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Both Stock and Jailbroken iPhones have their Pro's & Con's.

21. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I don't see it happening but I wish it would. Mail->gmail, Weather->just about and other weather app. I want to be able to delete what I want too. I don't need stocks or newsstand among others. I want my space back.

22. Vesian macrumors member

Choice has never been one of Apple's strong points.

23. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Default Apps all there because they play nice in the sandbox and add security rather than challenge it. Most likely Apple sticks with these. After all why would Apple go to Chrome when they're distancing themselves from Google.

24. lazard macrumors 65816

and what are these cons for JB?

25. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Initial jailbreak glitches.
    Baseband issues on 3GS
    Having to Re spring after some tweak downloads
    Tweak incompatibility.
    Occasional lagg for some.
    Naughty repos
    System crashes although rare.
    Unable to perform OTA updates.
    Unable to update to a new iOS until a jb catches up.

However I submit the pros outweigh the cons !