Do you think Apple will ever release 15 inch MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bingefeller, Nov 24, 2016.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2007
    Northern Ireland
    If they did, I would definitely get one!

Do you think there's any chance of seeing one in 2017?
  2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
  3. Left4DeadBoy macrumors regular

Sep 20, 2015
    hi There! You can bet that if you predict that Apple makes a smaller laptop for their Macbook Air line of merchandize then theyll get cu-stomers right away . They like to get people who can lift their laptops in one hand while typing; which is sometimes necessary .
  4. PilotWoo macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2006
    This. Its a dead product line.
  5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Feb 21, 2012
    New Jersey Pine Barrens
    No, they are killing off the MBA line, not adding to it.
  6. elf69 macrumors 68000

Jun 2, 2016
    Cornwall UK
    It is a shame to loose the air line.

OK so probably a slow seller but it is loved so much but those who do buy it.

I'm thinking of swapping from macbook to air, but high spec model.
    i5 and 8GB with 256GB SSD.

Thing is the macbook and pro are getting so thin just about an air already

I think they got it right with 11 and 13 inch models.
  7. Ace2617 macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2016
    It won't happen, but it would've been cool. The new MBP's are thin, but I think it would've been cool to see a really thin 15" MBA perhaps for people who don't need all the power of a 15" MBP, but want the 15" screen.
  8. HardBall macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2006
    Nah; the 13" Air is already into desktop replacement territory in terms of weight and portability. A 15" is basically dead on arrival, in terms of usability for the vast majority of the people. Maybe there is a very small sliver of people would find that odd combination useful, but there is just no market for an ultra-book that will weigh 3.5+lbs.

Nowadays, high quality consumer laptops are mostly 2lbs or lighter, like the 12" rMB. Anything 2.5+lb is going to be a desktop replacement.
  9. mlody macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2012
    Windy City
    Apple likes to call everything "Pro" while charging more for it, so I would not count on a new Air anytime soon.
  10. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

May 25, 2007
    Birmingham, UK
    You may possibly see a slightly larger MacBook in the future - but I think the Air is no more.
  11. flyinmac macrumors 68040

Sep 2, 2006
    United States
    Hmm... makes me wonder if Toyota will release an econobox semi-truck.

Probably not, because those that need to get 50 miles per gallon typically don't need to move their house with their car.
  12. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

Jan 8, 2008
    Tampa, Florida
    Nope. With all of their bragging in comparing the new MacBook Pro to the air in therms of weight and thickness, I don't see it happening at all. At least I'm looking forward to many solid years of usage out of my air regardless of what Apple does with the line!
  13. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

Apr 2, 2012
    Somewhere In Time
    Apple doesn't release sales numbers for individual models of the Mac lineup, but I've heard/read sources I'd consider somewhat reliable say the MBA is close the their best selling model. The average Mac laptop user isn't a power user. The cost of retina screens, extra memory and high-speed processors are not a justifiable expense for most people.

I don't know why Apple is phasing out the model either.
  14. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Jan 29, 2008
    I would like to see a budget 15 inch laptop. I hate how Apple correlates price to screen size arbitrarily. There's no reason why they can't put the guts of a 12 inch MacBook in a 15 inch body. Heck, it would probably get 20 hours of battery!

But I guess in Apple's view, people are so simplistic they just assume that bigger is always better.
  15. Naimfan macrumors 601

Jan 15, 2003
    They did, in October. Hard to call the new 15" MBs "Pro" when performance is sacrificed for form factor.
  16. EgGKeith macrumors member

Oct 6, 2015
    I dont see the future of MacBook Air anymore, this product line will be cut soon.
  17. chasonstone macrumors regular

Dec 24, 2010
    I don't think we're going to see any more Air's. I think the best hope would be for Apple to release a 14 inch MacBook, which I sort of wish they would actually do. The 12 inch MacBook is just ever so slightly too small for me.