iPhone X Do you think Apple will go larger than 6.5" screen size?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Singapore
As everyone knows, Apple went with a new naming convention of 'iPhone 10S Max' instead of calling it the 'Plus' model as with prior years.

Aside from a marketing purpose, I was thinking: was it called the 'Max' because 6.5" is the MAXIMUM screen size that they will ever go with?

Do you guys think Apple will ever ship an iPhone that has a bigger screen size than 6.5"?

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I think the current size of the XS Max is great. Just enough screen real estate to have me pause when deciding if I want to grab my iPad pro 10.5 or not.

Supermallet

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2014
As everyone knows, Apple went with a new naming convention of 'iPhone 10S Max' instead of calling it the 'Plus' model as with prior years.

Aside from a marketing purpose, I was thinking: was it called the 'Max' because 6.5" is the MAXIMUM screen size that they will ever go with?

Do you guys think Apple will ever ship an iPhone that has a bigger screen size than 6.5"?
If they think a bigger screen phone will make them enough money, yes. I don’t think the “Max” name denotes that 6.5” is the biggest phone size Apple will ever make, I think it means it’s the biggest size an iPhone Xs is available in. I believe they avoided using the Plus name because all the Plus models had some feature that wasn’t present in the regular sized models, whereas the Max has all the same features as the smaller Xs aside from screen size.

Personally I think they should have called both phones the iPhone Pro and just offered two screen sizes like they do with the iPad Pro. And they should have called the Xr just iPhone. That is the exact naming scheme they use with the iPad and it’s very elegant and easy to remember. There’s no reason anyone should have to say “the iPhone ten s max”, which is a mouthful and awkward. Plus given the fact many people pronounce it as the letter X instead of the Roman numeral for ten, many people are calling these the iPhone “excess”, which given the prices of these phones, isn’t an association Apple should be courting.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Yes they will go bigger but only once foldable screens are a thing.
I agree. That Max brandname, no matter how awful it is, does indicate that this is the biggest. I would not be surprised if they introduced a foldable Max in the future that was bigger than some earlier model.

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Dec 14, 2010
UK
The XS MAX is only just pocketable - I wouldn't want a bigger handset. I'd rather just get an iPad.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Singapore
Which was why I started this thread... was thinking it would be pretty crazy for Apple to release a phone with a larger footprint than a 6.5" screen.

Reactions: bluecoast

bluecoast

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
Agreed, it's hard to see how a phone could get bigger without being an iPad mini (effectively).

I think that Apple is building up a suite of iPhones /iPads with different screen sizes that are intended to work with the Watch.

In a few years (maybe even as soon as next year) I suspect that a Watch and iPad (in your bag) combination will be perfectly possible. And with Marzipan, maybe even just a Watch and a Mac (EDIT: when Macs have the same sort of 'A' class system on a chip in them as iPads and iPhones along with the same security enclaves).

Implicit in this, is that the Watch is probably now Apple's small screen 'phone'.

Last edited:

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2015

Apple has gone from being a technology Innovator to a Samsung customer.
People want bigger phones period.

Samsung has a 6.7” Device coming which means Samsung is making a 120Hz OLED Panel. Which will eventually be sold to Apple. For Apples new 2019 6.7” IPhone PRO next year.

Apples plan is to have 3 Phone Tiers just like their other products

Beginner
Experienced
Pro

iPhone XR or Begginer
iPhone X’s and MAX or Experienced
iPhone Pro or Pro level like MacBook Pro

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
As with the Plus models, I'd personally find the 6.5" Max to be too large to use comfortably To go even larger would be an ergonomic nightmare & if I can't use a phone with one hand then it's too big, hence why the 5.8"/6.1" iPhone's are perfect for most people.

If I am mobile & need the extra screen real estate then I'll whip my iPad Pro out.

I don't see how foldable screens would be of any use either. The size issues remain.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
If they do offer a larger display over 6.5, I’m certainly not interested in it. I think this would be the biggest phone I would want strictly because I’m not keen on wanting to carry device this big in my pocket as it is, but having OLED experience with the largest dispay is nice to have for viewing content.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2015
As with the Plus models, I'd personally find the 6.5" Max to be too large to use comfortably To go even larger would be an ergonomic nightmare & if I can't use a phone with one hand then it's too big, hence why the 5.8"/6.1" iPhone's are perfect for most people.

If I am mobile & need the extra screen real estate then I'll whip my iPad Pro out.

I don't see how foldable screens would be of any use either. The size issues remain.

I hear your point of view sounding like older people 10 years ago who I heard saying they did not like Smartphones, they are all glass and they break. A very similar argument was had over 100 years ago when Air filled tires were starting to be used over solid rubber tires. People said they would pop and had valid issues.

Well progress is made and mostly everyone has a Smartphone now they are glass and they do break. And everyone has air filled tires and they do pop or get flats.
As such in 10 years everyone will have flexible or foldable phones.
The advantages out weight the drawbacks.

As you can see in the video linked below. The most popular format will likely be a folded iPhone X 5.” style device which can Unfold into an almost 10” display size since its flexible.

So enjoy your Smartphone and your Goodyear air filled tires in less than 10 years you will love your iPhone Pro which foldout into a tablet.

Also here is another Samsung innovation

A unbreakable OLED display that’s bendable and its not a prototype it’s been verified by UL Laboratories so it’s ready for the consumer market.

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-displays-unbreakable-panel-certified-underwriters-laboratories/

(P.S. please don’t think of phones as Foldable it’s a marketing strategy Samsung is all too happy to take credit for like LED TVs.
Displays will be “bendable” like a piece of plastic not foldable like a piece of paper.)

Last edited:

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I hear your point of view sounding like older people 10 years ago who I heard saying they did not like Smartphones, they are all glass and they break. A very similar argument was had over 100 years ago when Air filled tires were starting to be used over solid rubber tires. People said they would pop and had valid issues.

Well progress is made and mostly everyone has a Smartphone now they are glass and they do break. And everyone has air filled tires and they do pop or get flats.
As such in 10 years everyone will have flexible or foldable phones.
The advantages out weight the drawbacks.

As you can see in the video linked below. The most popular format will likely be a folded iPhone X 5.” style device which can Unfold into an almost 10” display size since its flexible.

So enjoy your Smartphone and your Goodyear air filled tires in less than 10 years you will love your iPhone Pro which foldout into a tablet.

Also here is another Samsung innovation

A unbreakable OLED display that’s bendable and its not a prototype it’s been verified by UL Laboratories so it’s ready for the consumer market.

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-displays-unbreakable-panel-certified-underwriters-laboratories/

(P.S. please don’t think of phones as Foldable it’s a marketing strategy Samsung is all too happy to take credit for like LED TVs.
Displays will be “bendable” like a piece of plastic not foldable like a piece of paper.)
If a phone is not ergonomic & comfortable enough to be used one-handed then I won't buy it - it's that simple.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
There are 6.9 to 7.2” android phones right now. One of them I was looking at was the Xiaomi mi max. 6.9” - 5500mah battery for $3XX. It doesn’t work well in North America due to lack of lte bands, so I passed on it. Reviews of it are great and people love the size. So 6.5” isn’t as big as you can reasonably go.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2015
I hope not. The Max size is perfect. Any bigger, and I will stay with one of their smaller options.
I think the iPhone MAX will eventually morph into a 6.7” device when Samsung discontinues the size and moves its OLED Fabrication to 6.7” Panels which is why Apple has partnered with LG. But honestly I would Not want a First generation LG OLED Apple display.

Reactions: Seth Matthews
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.