Do you think Apple will hit the self-imposed June deadline for the App Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kavika411, Mar 7, 2008.

?

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I think the answer to this is obvious.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best...

3. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

It may not be pretty, but I think they have enough big devs who will be all ready to go by June....30th... late in the day. lol

4. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I agree; I think there will be innumerable developers, big and small, ready to go by June 30 (at 11:59 p.m.). I disagree, however, with the underlying premise - that Apple will be ready to roll out the App Store if the third party developers are ready. Put simply, I don't think Apple can put together the App Store by June. August at the earliest. I hope/wish I were wrong.

5. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Worth Reading.

Yes I do, they can't afford to mess with the release anymore, you can see how easy it is to make apps in just two weeks, so I believe in 3 1/2 months they will definitely have it out. I love how Steve said "We will have the SDK in developers hands in February" which everyone thought meant we could get Apps now, but it IS in developers hands, what a scamp, Jobs!

Apple's World-Wide-Developers-Conference is expected to start on June 8th, where they will likely show us more apps they've made, tell us all the other features 2.0 has that we don't yet know about, and show us how much the apps they showed us previously have improved, and give us a release date.

Hopefully they will announce that 2.0 has copy/paste, customization (dock, home screen wallpaper) and such other exciting new features. ALSO, probably a 16 and 32GB 3G iPhone.

Have a wonderful week and thank you for reading my post, responses will definitely be read and responded to.

6. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

They are not gonna miss this time, cause the product is ready and running. the 6 months is just break-in time.

I wouldn't mind having copy/paste, but I'm not terribly missing it either. I wish people would shut up about it, it's getting annoying to her it every 5 seconds. And with the SDK out, I think if Apple don't, someone will release it.

7. SRSound macrumors 6502

That was about the nicest sign-off I've ever seen here

8. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Haha, thank you very much :)
    Definitely the nicest response to my comment I've ever seen :D

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, considering their track record lately, i think i'll have to vote no, even though i really hope that they do

10. gibbz macrumors 68030

I bet we hear the phrase "Will be ready in a week or two"

11. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Also, just realized iPhone's 1st birthday is in June, the 29th to be exact. In the keynote it was said that the 2.0 Software Upgrade would be released in "late June". Anyone else predicting a 2.0.0 upgrade on June 29th as a 1st birthday present? :D

12. redbergy macrumors newbie

I for one have complete faith that the App store will be delivered on time. It's not like they need to reinvent the wheel or anything. The iTunes platform already supports everything they're looking to accomplish with the store - it's just like adding a different category (Music, TV, Movies, now Apps).

The SDK on the other hand was and still is a huge undertaking for Apple, not only do they have to build support in to Xcode for it, but then document and debug and test the entire source. The documentation part alone had to take months - and they're not finished yet (all documentation says something to the effect of "This is a preliminary document meant to give you an idea of how to adapt to these new frameworks").

The App Store is a grain of sand compared to what's already been done with the SDK IMO.

13. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 8gb: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

yeah after the last time they said late <month> it turned out to be early next month so if you want to get your hopes up then plan July 6th. :p

14. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 8gb: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

hat to be the pesimist but that sounds a bit iffy.

Even if that where it I doubt Steve would be that cheesy

15. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Well I don't think the press release would say "1st Birthday iPhone present everyone!!!!!!!11! OMG'z LOL!".
    But I think they might just announce it at WWDC, which is suspected to be held starting on June 8th, with a release date of June 29th.
    1.0 Came out June 29th, 2007.
    2.0 Might possibly come out June 29th, 2008. I mean, why not? It is late June and "late June" was the said release of iPhone Software Upgrade 2.0 ^_^

16. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

The only thing about that is since June 29th is on a Sunday this year, I highly doubt that it will be released that day...June 30th is probably more like it, maybe even the 27th.

17. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

11:08 am iPhone 2.0 will be available in early for July.

Looks like the "no's" have it.