Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I have started thinking about buying a new portable bluetooth speaker, probably JBL.

Do you think Apple will license the W1 chip out to third party companies? Have they mentioned anything about it?

If there is a possibility I can wait, I would love to see the W1 implemented in other manufacturer's products.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I sure hope they will. But not sure. But I hope ;) L O V E the AirPods, but if they were with rubber it would be even better.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I would be amazed if they do. Other manufacturers will come up with something similar soon though.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I don't see it happening, I think its to apple's advantage not too.
Why? So they can sell more airpods and beats headphones?
I think if they license it like airplay, they can sell more other iDevices. If they kill the headphone jack they have to offer a viable alternative, given in the W1.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Why? So they can sell more airpods and beats headphones?
I think if they license it like airplay, they can sell more other iDevices. If they kill the headphone jack they have to offer a viable alternative, given in the W1.
They can sell that magical Apple experience the Cook loves to talk about, but is lacking in practically all other products now.

Reactions: satcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.