Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainbow Evil

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2014
UK
I was just wondering what people think will happen to the ultra-expensive but destined-to-be-out-of-date-in-a-year Apple Watch Edition models when the next version comes out - do you think it's possible that Apple will offer a trade-up service where they essentially gut the thing and upgrade its internals or do you think they'll just leave them with their obsolete device? I mean I could personally see it as something of a selling point if they would be upgraded for a few years, however I don't really have a handle on the mindset of the uber-rich when it comes to buying stuff.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Personally I don't think they are going to obsolete this watch anytime soon. We will most likely be able to get 3 years out of it. Look at the iPad 2. A lot of people are still using it and it works perfectly fine for them. I think the same with the apple watch.

Rainbow Evil

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2014
UK
Personally I don't think they are going to obsolete this watch anytime soon. We will most likely be able to get 3 years out of it. Look at the iPad 2. A lot of people are still using it and it works perfectly fine for them. I think the same with the apple watch.
I get that it'll still be updated and everything for a few years, but say they added some internal improvement that would mean you have pretty limited functionality in some aspect was introduced (for example the NFC chip that is now in the iPhone but wan't in the 5s)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
...however I don't really have a handle on the mindset of the uber-rich when it comes to buying stuff.

You got that part right. $10-17K are a chump change for the uber-rich. For some of them, nothing screams "I have money!" more than dropping $17,000 on a watch that'll quickly become obsolete in a few short years so it's actually a desirable trait. A trade-up program defeats that.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxkoneko

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
You got that part right. $10-17K are a chump change for the uber-rich. For some of them, nothing screams "I have money!" more than dropping $17,000 on a watch that'll quickly become obsolete in a few short years so it's actually a desirable trait. A trade-in program defeats that.

I'd imagine there are people out there that saved up to buy it as well.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why is the Watch going to be out of date in a year? If iPhone 4s is getting iOS 9 surely the Watch will get more than one year of software updates. Also there was that rumor of Apple working on "smart bands" so it's possible additional functionality will come from that.

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
I don't think so.

People for whom the Apple Watch Edition is aimed to are in a position where they don't need any kind of rebate-centered "trade-up" system.

Users are treating the Edition as if it's something that needs to be saved up for, it's not. Purchasers of the Edition picked one up while going on a $50K+ shopping spree one lazy Sunday afternoon.

Reactions: Enygmatic

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I'm expecting a trade in for all watches. They find a way to make it profitable for phones, how is this any different?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'm expecting a trade in for all watches. They find a way to make it profitable for phones, how is this any different?

The OP is talking about trade-up, not trade-in. I.e., you take it in and they swap out the internals for a nominal cost compared to spending another $10-17K for a brand new one. It's not a new concept and several members have proposed this, but it won't happen for the aforementioned reasons.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I was just wondering what people think will happen to the ultra-expensive but destined-to-be-out-of-date-in-a-year Apple Watch Edition models when the next version comes out - do you think it's possible that Apple will offer a trade-up service where they essentially gut the thing and upgrade its internals or do you think they'll just leave them with their obsolete device? I mean I could personally see it as something of a selling point if they would be upgraded for a few years, however I don't really have a handle on the mindset of the uber-rich when it comes to buying stuff.

Apple has never had a trade in program so I doubt they will start now. I also don't think they will release new watches annually, I think they will release new colors and bands annually. I think 2 years will be the cadence and I'm basing that off of AppleCare+. We know the look will more than likely be the same or similar. We know they won't go round or any other shape. I imagine better battery life, more sensors, GPS, and maybe cellular built in.

I don't see the first gen going away anytime soon and you should be able to get many years out of it. It's too expensive for Apple to make it obsolete and Apple is positioning it more as jewelry. I say 5-6 years lifespan before possibly being nudged towards upgrading.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Apple has never had a trade in program so I doubt they will start now.

Ummm, yes they do. You can definitely trade in the iPhone. And possibly the iPad (not sure about iPad). But positive about iPhone because I've done it. They gave me $200 for my 4S 32GB.

iphone joe

Suspended
Feb 10, 2011
NY
Ummm, yes they do. You can definitely trade in the iPhone. And possibly the iPad (not sure about iPad). But positive about iPhone because I've done it. They gave me $200 for my 4S 32GB.

Can you go to an Apple store to do this or only online?

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012

I didn't know that. Do they give you good value or is it like a GameStop deal where you get pennies?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.