Do you think Apple will release a 21.5" Cinema Display this year?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CamoBits, Jun 30, 2014.

1. CamoBits, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

CamoBits macrumors newbie

I'm looking to have a dual display of 21.5 inches set up at my office. Apple stopped making that size a long time ago. I know that its almost for sure that they will update their 27 inches model with 4k and the new design but what about the 21.5? Do you that size will be brought back and updated as well? It's been forever since they updated the cinema displays, and the leaks of the 4k codes in the OS makes it seem like its going to be this year.

I'm going to be connecting that display to my Retina Macbook Pro which in the tech specs of it states that it can support up 2 external displays with a resolution of 2560-1600. Since 4k is much higher than that, will I not be able to utilize the 4k? will the monitor work for me at all? And say I get one cinema display once its out with the higher resolution, will I be able to have 4k since its 1 monitor as opposed to 2? So perhaps 2560-1600*2?

Given that I will be using my 13" Macbook Pro, do think I'm better off stick with a non-Apple display and perhaps buy it now? or do you think I should wait and get something from Apple?

2. bennibeef macrumors 6502

Hm havent even thought about that they could bring back the smaller Cinema Display but I would love if they do.

And when I think about it, its difficult. They wont release a Retina 21'' screen and not a 27'' Retina one but maybe they only can do at the time a 21'' one.

Its like they wont make a Retina iMac 21'' and no 27'' Retina because the panels are still too expensive.

But man I like that thought.

3. jg321 macrumors 6502

Hmm I'd never even considered that they would. I ditched a 21.5" Dell/MBP setup in favour of a 21.5" iMac. If I'd have known how much of a pain Target Display Mode would be, maybe I would have thought twice. If I'd have known that a 21.5" cinema display was in the pipeline, I'd have definitely thought twice!

4. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

I’d love a 21.5” display, especially if it had a higher pixel density. I’ve got a 21.5” ASUS and I love the compact form factor. For people like me who are better served by two smaller displays, a 21 incher is perfect (I hate how you really can only choose from 21, 22, 23, or 24” 1080p displays, and then the jump to 27” 1440p.)

Having used the new iMacs, I think that the fused-glass finally removes my complaints with the glossy displays I’ve had for the better part of a decade, so I’d definitely consider an Apple monitor, especially if it was a 21” in the $200-$400 range.