Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
The last Display release is 3 years behind, and a lot of things hinted at a possible 4K display.

But what's with people who do not need or want 4K? Do you believe Apple will release a display with a lower resolution at a lower price?

Not everyone is a graphic designer or such, some people just want a display for their Mac mini for daily use or whatever. And therefore I can't imagine someone spending thousands on a pro display, when he just wants a simple display to browse the web – but still one by Apple.

I for one would be one of them. My Mac Pro is used for music production and 4K is unnecessary for me.

Tavicu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Romania
Haha well for the same price than the current TB Display then!

On the current market when you find 27" displays everywhere and cheaper than TBD, 1000$ for a 27" will be too much if they decide to keep the current price!

But will see in september! Maybe they will finnaly release a new display!

The current TBD is awesome but it really needs USB 3, TB2, iMac design and cheaper!
Right now is not worth the 1000$!

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
But what's with people who do not need or want 4K? Do you believe Apple will release a display with a lower resolution at a lower price?

Unlikely.

Look closely at the Thunderbolt display: you can hook one up to your Mac Pro or Mini if you like, but it is primarily designed and promoted as a peripheral for the MacBook.

With the current Mac Pros mostly 'Retina' (the 13" Classic isn't likely to be around for much longer) and the Airs rumoured to follow, if Apple want to stay in the own-brand display market they're going to want something they can brand 'Retina'.

The problems of "retina-izing" the existing 27" TBD have been discussed elsewhere - essentially, to get the same physical system font/icon sizes as the current 1440p display you'd either need a doesn't-exist-yet 5k panel (with a doesn't-exist-yet interface) or a UHD panel running in "scaled" mode (with the consequent GPU/CPU hit).

My money is on a 21.5" UHD iMac and/or TB display, which would be a true pixel-doubled "retina" replacement for the existing 21.5", 1080p iMac.

Pity - if they just added USB3 and the lower-glare iMac screen to the existing 1440p TB display I'd be sorely tempted, but I can't see it getting the marketing department exited.

Actually, if they just cut the price of the existing TBD to sensible-for-2014 levels I'd probably jump - USB2 is plenty for attaching a keyboard and printer, and there's probably an argument against putting display, Ethernet, audio *and* fast USB3 disks all on the same Thunderbolt channel.

Meanwhile - plenty of third party 27"/1440p and 24"/1200p displays to choose from. I use a Dell U2412M.

Must say, this looks more tempting than 4k at the moment: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UM95

...but not sure if my late 2011 MacBook Pro would run it properly.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Yeah I guess I have to agree with you guys. Then let's hope they make a cheap retina display some day haha. They probably will but we're far from there.

But at the moment I don't need one anyway. Just received my 27" LED Cinema Display. Looks like new, no flaws, works perfectly - so far, and let's hope that stays the case.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
No.

I don't believe we'll see any "cheaper" displays coming from Apple again.

The "3rd-party market" has that covered.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I agree. I can't remember the last time Apple had an inexpensive display.

Although the current iMacs, or especially refurbs, considering what you get are pretty competitive.

And I also agree about "retina" displays. The whole point of retina is what you see up close. Given the heat, data and other tradeoffs, and the distances people sit from bigger monitors, I think anything even remotely in the ballpark of "inexpensive" is a real dream. Especially since most people would have about as much use for it as 3D.

Meahwhile, check out the market in 2560x1440 monitors; prices are plummeting and there are some great deals for these, which are all most need.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I'm personally hoping for an Apple display using the LG 34UM95 panel. Massively unlikely but that with updated ports would be my ideal.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
As someone using a ~7 year old 30" Cinema HD display, I can't wait for Apple to release a UHD display, the bigger the better. 21" Retina would mean I'd go for a crappy third-party monitor.

As far as third-party UHD goes, I'd wait until IPS panels were common. (Well, more common.)

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Imagine if they dropped the current one to 1080p and knocked £400 off the price, they would never sell the high res ones over that

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I also hope they release an updated non-4k version of the current model. My wish list would be

-iMac-like design: thinner, same gapless screen-to-glass design and make it the same height as the 27" iMac. Those of us who use them as secondary displays are sick and tired of having to find a book or rig something up to get the height even with the iMac.
-USB 3, Thunderbolt 2
-Include a power button again like on the older cinema displays. When using it as a secondary monitor next to the iMac, it would be nice to easily switch it on and off when needed instead of having to plug/unplug the thunderbolt cable. This is actually my biggest gripe with the current model. I was even considering picking up an older 23" instead mainly for the power button.

Hopefully Apple will update the displays soon and add these features. Maybe with both a new 4k version and an updated 1440p version. I can only hope.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
would be nice to easily switch it on and off when needed instead of having to plug/unplug the thunderbolt cable.

I've had the 27" LED Cinema Display for a few days now, and I've been surprised it has no button at the back. I realised it turns itself on and off from alone with the Mac. But then at some point I also noticed (in the dark), that there was some red light coming from underneath my mouse, which is connected to the USB port on the Display. Weird.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
If they do release new monitors, will they announce it at the September event? I don't know if there's a schedule for peripherals or if it's something they'll announce whenever it makes sense to launch it.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
If they do release new monitors, will they announce it at the September event?

On past performance, the September event is usually all about mobile. Also on past performance, that won't stop fans getting all hot and bothered about new Macs, iWatch, iDisplay, iTV, iFlyingCar, iWorldPeace etc. and then wailing when, surprise, surprise, the launch is all about iPhones.

Also note the total lack of solid rumours about new screens.

Thunderbolt displays are primarily MacBook accessories, so the most sensible time for a display launch would be alongside a major MacBook launch & when the entire Mac range supports Thunderbolt 2, which isn't on the cards until the Broadwell chips come out.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Also on past performance, that won't stop fans getting all hot and bothered about new Macs, iWatch, iDisplay, iTV, iFlyingCar, iWorldPeace etc. and then wailing when, surprise, surprise, the launch is all about iPhones.

Funny, and when will they loose the "i" ? It was old a long time ago.

The Highbornes of marketing apparently don't agree.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
The last Display release is 3 years behind, and a lot of things hinted at a possible 4K display.

Not everyone is a graphic designer or such, some people just want a display for their Mac mini for daily use or whatever. And therefore I can't imagine someone spending thousands on a pro display, when he just wants a simple display to browse the web – but still one by Apple.

I for one would be one of them. My Mac Pro is used for music production and 4K is unnecessary for me.

Why would they lower the resolution? It's already "low" (non-4k, non-retina)?
Why would they lower the price? People are still buying the current one in notable quantities (which I consider insane while at the same time I sometimes have to restraint myself from pulling the trigger on one myself...).
They are available in the channel with a bit of a discount, but still...

So, your hope is, IMO, delusional at best. Sorry to put it like that ;-)

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Why would they lower the resolution? It's already "low" (non-4k, non-retina)?
Why would they lower the price? People are still buying the current one in notable quantities (which I consider insane while at the same time I sometimes have to restraint myself from pulling the trigger on one myself...).
They are available in the channel with a bit of a discount, but still...

So, your hope is, IMO, delusional at best. Sorry to put it like that ;-)

For people who do non-graphics stuff, the resolution isn't low. Most TVs have a much larger size than 27" and are far from being 2560 x 1440. Apparently everyone is buying them and nobody really needs much more. If you're buying a 4K screen and you're not into video animation or graphic design stuff, it's just a waste of money. Well unless you are an absolute fanatic about movies and I don't know what, but even then it wouldn't be really that useful as most movies are far from being made in 4K.
For me - someone who uses his Mac for music production - it would be useless, and the current resolution is already probably more than I need.
And about the price of the Thunderbolt: It seems like the 27" Cinema Display has a higher value than used Thunderbolt Displays - I've been searching for a 27" Cinema for a while (now I finally have one) and thus I've also seen the prices of the Thunderbolt. The Cinema is always priced higher, probably because it's more wanted because of the lack of Thunderbolt on many Macs. I've seen Thunderbolt displays not even a year old for half the price of what they cost new. My Mac Pro doesn't have Thunderbolt so I had to pay a hundred more for a Cinema Display that's now almost 5 years old. I'm curious if it will retain its value.
But anyway, if the price drop on Thunderbolts is so huge, it usually means no one wants them, thus no one buys them anymore.

I don't think we should exclude a resolution or size drop. I mean, I love the current resolution and size - it's perfect for me. But the 30" was bigger in size and bigger in resolution too, and yet they released the 24" Cinema Display, and later also the 27". Never say never I guess ;)

Now it's fine I have my display already. I would just have preferred to buy a new Apple display. Which wasn't possible because my Mac hasn't thunderbolt. One thing is certain, if the Cinema Display still existed (new, for sale) then plenty of people - like me - would be buying it instead of the Thunderbolt display. Apple is loosing on money here…

If they release 4k displays only, even less people are going to buy them, because they will have an extremely high price, and most people know that 4K is simply a waste of money for them.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Funny, and when will they loose the "i" ? It was old a long time ago.

The Highbornes of marketing apparently don't agree.

Actually the "i"s started disappearing a long time ago already! iCal > Calender, iSight > Facetime, iContacts > Contacts (or was it Address Book?) etc.

What I wish to see would be an "e" again. Not an iMac, but an eMac, like there was once already long time ago. "e" stood for education back then. Instead of iTunes U or whatever it's called (U for university), they could have called it eTunes. Haha.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Actually the "i"s started disappearing a long time ago already! iCal > Calender, iSight > Facetime, iContacts > Contacts (or was it Address Book?) etc.

Address Book, which was fine. iSight was hardware, Facetime is software.

Hopefully, no new "i" hardware. Bet they'll stick with "Display" in the next rev. naming.

1985 was Monitor - Display in 89, then Vision and back to Display in 98 till now. Guess that like Display, but they could always get tricky and go back to Monitor. It's been a while ;)

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Well, the cameras on new Apple devices are no longer called iSight Cameras (such as on the 27" LED Cinema Displays or the iPhone 4) but FaceTime Cameras.
Also iChat became Messages. So I definitely do not think there's going to be any more "i" hard- or software. Only exception was iCloud ibelieve.

Now it's more like items. Messages. Address Book. Calendar. Fruits. Table. Water. That's how it will be now haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.