Do you think Apple will replace my iPad for this?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tyrion, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

I think I have a tiny speck of dust under the display glass, and it's driving me crazy. Thing is, it's really tiny, so I'm not sure if I will be able to get it replaced - I'm not trying to be pedantic, with these things it's just a case of not being able to unsee them once you've seen them (I've attached two pictures). Can anyone tell me how Apple usually handles this? I've made an appointment at the genius bar for tomorrow so I'll soon find out, but I'd like to be prepared. Another thing that's bothering me is the warmth (i. e. yellowness) of the screen, do you think I should mention that too? (I've attached another pic that compares the settings screen on my new iPad to the one on my iPad 2).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(new iPad on the bottom)

2. Kendo macrumors 68000

I have the same problem with the tiny speck of dust. Tagging this thread.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You are still within your return period, so you could return this iPad for any reason or no reason and repurchase it if you like.

I'm sure the genius will also offer to swap it.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i honestly wouldn't sweat the warmth, but i suggest returning it and buying another if you're unhappy with your ipad, especially with the dust under the screen. i wouldn't even try to swap it out.

5. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oops, I completely forgot about the return period. Now I'm definitely not worried about tomorrow. Thanks :)

6. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

When I purchased my iPad I was a bit shocked when they cut the shrinkwrap and opened the box. There was a LOT more dust on the inside of the packaging than I would have expected. I know these things are assembled in cleanrooms, but are they packaged in dusty rooms? Everthing had bits of dust on it- the clear plastic sleeves as well as the device. I even made a comment to the sales person about the amount of dust and asked if it was a refurbished or returned item. (He assured me it was brand new.)

Fortunately I haven't seen any dust beneath the display. And it doesn't have any issues with the display or heat.

7. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Uggggh, they didn't replace it because I didn't have the original box with me. Damn. Going to the Apple Store is a 1+ hour train ride for me, so this really, really sucks.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, they will exchange. If the return period has expired they will give you a non-boxed replacement unit. Usually these are refurbs but the new iPad is too new so it will be a new unit, just not in a box.