Do you think Apple will replace my Macbook's keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by swoz, Jul 21, 2009.

1. swoz macrumors newbie

swoz

I bought a Macbook from someone on eBay (white model) around Christmas of this past year. AppleCare for it runs out sometime in 2010. With use, some of the letters on the keys have started to wear off. There are also two chips on the top of the laptop in the corners. I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow for my iPhone and am thinking about bringing my Macbook along as well. Would Apple replace they keyboard and possibly the part where it's chipped? Thanks.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If it does not affect performance, I doubt it.

3. celticpride678

Like the first poster said, not unless it affects typing.
    And, I do not think Apple would replace it for free no matter what becuase that is user fault and user fault is not covered under any type of Apple Care.

4. swoz thread starter macrumors newbie

swoz

All right, I wasn't aware of this though haha. Thanks guys.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

6. swoz thread starter macrumors newbie

swoz

It's on the top, where the camera is, in the left corner. When you close the Macbook, there is a chip in the bottom left corner. Sorry about the blurriness of the pictures, I don't have a working camera at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

It is worth a try. Just bring it in. The worst that can happen is them telling you no.

8. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

you can tell from those pics it was dropped apple care isnt even valid anymore if thats the case

9. panictiger macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same macbook, it's hardrive failed, i took it to the mac shop 2 years after i bought it, they identified the 2 cracks in the keyboard as 'Design Errors' replaced the keyboard and gave a new hard drive for FREE...

However they had to totally wipe my HD when they replaced it!:eek:

10. Cyclo0n macrumors newbie

Cyclo0n

You can try applecare but there's already a topic about this and it says that applecare Does not cover the cracks

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Ummm...no.

AppleCare covers cracks in the PolyCarb MacBook cases, even when out of warranty due to manufacturing defects. This applies especially for edge of case cracks.

The OP's unit appears to have been dropped, which is in a whole different category of not covered.

YOU can search around here and find possibly 100's of threads where topcase cracks were covered wtihout issue, especially more recently. Originally Apple was hesitant to repair the cases, but more recently have taken a LOT of top cases for replacement.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid