Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I think they will indeed stop selling the 4S, because they can now have a full Lightning equipped 4"+ line of models starting with maybe the 5C at $400.

The iPhone 4 can still run iOS 7, but isn't sold anymore so I guess support for the latest iOS doesn't really matter.

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
Yes they will phase the 4S out. Will be interesting to see if they keep the 5C around too. I would imagine the 5C will become the free phone, the 5S will be the 5C now, and the 6 will be the premium phone.

GalvaJ

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
I agree with sunapple. Finally Apple can stop selling devices that use the 30pin connector. And also get rid of the 3.5" display.

Ninjuit

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2014
United Kingdom
Or will they keep it since it will be able to update to IOS 8?
Well Apple stopped selling the iPhone 4, even though it could upgrade to iOS 7, so I'll imagine they'll do the same this time.

It makes sense as well, with the 5C becoming the "Free on contract" option and the 5S being the "$99 on contract" option. Hopefully they keep higher storage options this time if the rumours about the 6 are true.

Last edited:

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
Depends, someone said they will be pushing the 4S in some countries as the "affordable" iPhone. In Asia and such.

batmankobe24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
Makes me feel outdated since my phone is a 4S. But since the 4S can be updated to IOS 8 I guess I'll keep it for now.

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
I still have a 4S as well. I didn't purchase mine until last April though. I'll keep my 4S for a bit longer; it'll depend on if I switch from ATT to Verizion or not.

makerleone

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
USA
Do they still sell the 4S in the United States? I thought it was only being sold in emerging markets where people wanted a cheaper alternative to the 5S / 5C.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
If apple stick to their pattern, yes the 4s will be discontinued.

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
Makes me feel outdated since my phone is a 4S. But since the 4S can be updated to IOS 8 I guess I'll keep it for now.

I would wait and see how others react to it being on there 4S. Downloading iOS 7 to iPhone 4's practically shut those bad boys down.

----------

Do they still sell the 4S in the United States? I thought it was only being sold in emerging markets where people wanted a cheaper alternative to the 5S / 5C.

Still shows up on Apple.com under the iPhone section.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
They can sell them in emerging countries, not in the US and Europe.
I guess their next product line will be 5C, 5S and 6

batmankobe24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
They can sell them in emerging countries, not in the US and Europe.
I guess their next product line will be 5C, 5S and 6

So you think they'll get rid of the iPhone 5 too? That phone was released in 2012. I doubt they'll take it out. And is still a real good phone.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
At $450 MSRP, it's still not particularly cheap. :rolleyes:

So you think they'll get rid of the iPhone 5 too? That phone was released in 2012. I doubt they'll take it out. And is still a real good phone.
Apple has already gotten rid of the 5. They replaced it with the 5C (which costs them cheaper to manufacture). :rolleyes:

MA-86

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
I am pretty sure that 4S will be discontinued (at least in EU and USA and other richer regions of the world), 5S will be discontinued as well (Apple won't be keeping 2 phone models with metal chassis and fingerprint sensor in their lineup otherwise less people might upgrade to the iPhone 6) so 5C will soldier on as their entry level phone unchanged internally and I think it will be updated to 5S internals when 6S comes out next year as to keep it far enough behind the latest and greatest iPhone.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
God, I sure hope so! Hate that model!

Best looking and most comfortable iphone ever. If I had black one that was somehow 100Gbs it'd be the perfect phone.

Only flaw is that it's incredibly fragile. One drop to a hard surface and it's toast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.