Do you think Apple would benefit from a little more humility?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Jul 15, 2010.

?

Should Apple show a little more humility?

1. Yes - they can be arrogant

52 vote(s)
    83.9%
  2. No - they're fine as is

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. thermal macrumors regular

Do you think Apple would benefit from a little more humility, or are they fine just as they are?

2. quotison macrumors member

Humility doesn't make my phone faster or more reliable, or improve my reception, or give me more things to do on the phone (or any other Apple product for that matter).

If you're making the argument that if Apple had more "humility" they would fix problems quicker, then sure, more humility is better I guess. But the whole obsession with personality (every thread here seems to discuss some aspect of Steve Jobs's personality these days) is a step removed from what we really care about: how well does the phone work?

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

ppfffftttt bwahahahaha....hahahahahaha!!! Apple - Humility? Never saw the 2 in the same sentence before this...hehehehe

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

If Apple wasn't Apple, then you wouldn't get the products that Apple makes.

If Apple wasn't so "controlling" and "arrogant" then you wouldn't have gotten the iPhone with a more open ecosystem. You would have gotten the Motorola ROKR with PlaysForSure compatibilty.

5. Soulcrux macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

Apples arrogance and confidence is what let's them make such kickass products. They don't respond to press, they don't gove a shot. Which os good. I don't need my phone manufacturer to be sorry every single time they get a malfunctioning product, I need them to run their business.

6. Loiterer macrumors member

It is an absurd false dichotomy to state that you only have a choice between an arrogant company with great products or a more humble one with lousy products, as if acknowledging a product's fault and providing a resolution automatically means that suddenly they can't run their business or their operating system magically goes to ****.

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

And, amazingly, you are the one defining the false dichotomy. Nobody but you suggested those were the only two choices.

I simply believe that quality that people hypocritically label as arrogance with respect to Apple is a significant, if not essential, contributor to the products that they create.

I assume this is in reference to the iPhone 4. What makes you think that they will not be acknowledging any faults and providing a resolution? The fact that it hasn't happened in the last two weeks? Maybe instead of a quick, superficial response that makes everyone feel better about their product, they are taking time to carefully consider a solution. And announcing it tomorrow.

8. Loiterer macrumors member

I was generalizing, but the dichotomy was yours. You plainly made the ridiculous assertion that Apple's obsession with control and its arrogance is why we didn't get a ROKR. What of the industrial design team? What of the marketing team? You can not be arrogant and still make a phone that's not a turd.
    And the "stunning" signal bar "fix" wasn't a quick, superficial response to try to make everyone feel better about their product?

I never stated that they would never provide resolution anyway, I think they will, if not tomorrow than later in the future. I was merely generally making the point that being responsive does not preclude a successful business or product.

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

No, you made up the other half of the dichotomy and generalized it to all companies. All I said was the for one company, Apple, certain qualities contribute significantly to the products it creates. I did not imply that good products cannot be created with companies that do not have the same qualities. Or that Apple could not create great products without the "arrogance" and "control". But they would not be the same as the products that we've seen from Apple.

Why is that ridiculous? We did get a ROKR. That's an example of when Apple gave up some control.

They are a part of Apple. Not sure what you are getting at here.

Of course you can. No one suggested otherwise.

No, it was a fix to one problem that was found upon investigating the signal issues. Should they have held off addressing that one problem until that had completely investigated the other issues?

I was not arguing that point.

10. Loiterer macrumors member

That is precisely what you implied, whether you meant to or not.

And you believe that?

11. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

No, it is what you inferred because of your own biases.

What I said was:
    I then provided an example of when Apple maintains their customary control (iPhone) and an example of when they do not (ROKR).

You are the one that added any claims about great products or lousy products and applied it to other companies.

I never really thought much about whether to believe it or not. Why does it matter? How Apple chooses to spin information (or not) isn't really important to me. I'm not going to buy an iPhone 4 until I am comfortable that it will meet my needs (if at all.)