Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Looking at the new HP G62's, which are obviously styled after the MBP:

hp-g62t-02-04-2010.jpg

They list the height of 1.44" for the i7.

The height of the current MBP 13 & 15 is .95"and the 17 is .98".

Knowing Apple, they can probably engineer it down to 1.25" or so, but with the extra heat, I wonder if they can keep the same unibody case. Do you think Apple would compromise height/portability to add the i7? Perhaps they are trying to work out the issues, hence the release delay.

Here is HP's link for the G62

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
They have already:
5214434888822866.jpg

or
1835.jpg

or
powerbook50top-small.jpg

Even if they do, it would mean re-adjusting the "manufacturing" process, and probably only on the high end machines.

It is more probable the would loose the optical drive to gain more space for better battery life and heat dissipation for a better CPU and GPU.

MACitecture

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
Houston
I agree, I dont think apple would move backwards. I assume they will either work out a solution or it wont be an option.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
Looking at the new HP G62's, which are obviously styled after the MBP:

hp-g62t-02-04-2010.jpg

They list the height of 1.44" for the i7.

The height of the current MBP 13 & 15 is .95"and the 17 is .98".

Knowing Apple, they can probably engineer it down to 1.25" or so, but with the extra heat, I wonder if they can keep the same unibody case. Do you think Apple would compromise height/portability to add the i7? Perhaps they are trying to work out the issues, hence the release delay.

Here is HP's link for the G62

Why would they? Doesn't that contradict the simplicity of the MBPs?

Habitus :apple"

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
hp-g62t-02-04-2010.jpg

That's a new HP notebook, LOL ... all the PC loosers sure like to follow along on Apple's coattails, eh? It's ridiculous with the all past billions generated in the PC world why can't they innovate on their own.

Instead they copy/knock off, same will happen with the ipad ... Sony's first in line to want to copy it I read today ...

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
Have you seen the patent application Apple has filed for watercooling the processor on a notebook computer?

They want to route coolant from the processor to the back of the display.

There's potential for fanless operation on computers like the Air, I think. The only reason I see the current Airs being so thick in the back is because of the fans and nescessary air flow for cooling.

I can see them using it on the pros to keep the thickness down. Haven't you ever been surprised at the temperature difference between the lid of your MacBook Pro and the Lower Case? Lot's of unutilized cooling.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
hp-g62t-02-04-2010.jpg

That's a new HP notebook, LOL ... all the PC loosers sure like to follow along on Apple's coattails, eh? It's ridiculous with the all past billions generated in the PC world why can't they innovate on their own.

Instead they copy/knock off, same will happen with the ipad ... Sony's first in line to want to copy it I read today ...

Yep.

And the PC fanboys will carry their carbon copy PC's around, proudly proclaiming that Apple sucks.

LOL at spading in mac rumors.

Hell, I call it wishful thinking. :D

I'd just be happy to know WHO the picture in Downs' avatar is!

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
you guys are forgetting that the iphone 2g was thinner than the iphone 3g.

If they do make it thinner, it won't be by much. maybe 5-10% thinner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.