Do you think AppleCare replacements are refurbs this early after launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LostMyiPhone, Sep 25, 2014.

1. LostMyiPhone, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

Hi Community!

Quick questions of opinion, guesses, or insight:

I bought my iPhone 6 from Verizon to capitalize on the trade-in deal. My new iPhone 6 has an issue and I called Apple. They are sending me a replacement device. I have read recently that certain trade-in programs will ding you for trading in a refurbished unit (this would be in the distant future when trying to trade in my iPhone 6). So the question is:

Do you think that the iPhone 6 replacement I receive will be a brand new unit or do you think they're already sending out refurbished ones?

Also, how can a lay-person like me tell by the serial number if it's a refurb or a new device?

Thanks, in advance for any input!!

2. ketchup4life06 macrumors member

From what I've experienced the swapped devices are new at this point...I just got one for a rebooting 6, but either way this one works and is flawless so I don't mind either way :)

3. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

It's too early for there to be any refurbs yet.

4. winterny macrumors 6502

This early on, they will almost certainly take a brand new one out of a retail box in front of you.

But anyway, it doesn't really matter -- the refurbs are essentially brand new phones as far as any user is concerned -- it's not like with other manufacturers where refurbs tend to be problematic.

5. LostMyiPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies all!

thanks. I have had apple refurbs (my time with the iPhone 5 was mostly refurb units) and I'm familiar with the quality of them. Apple does a great job putting them together and testing them out. I personally don't care if the unit is an apple refurb but I've heard some people say that some retailers can tell by the serial number of the device that it's a refurbished unit and they don't give you full value for trade in. That was my only concern with the refurbished units. Buuuuttt let's be honest: The one that I have now will likely not be the last one I have in 2 years because I'll probably drop it or something and end up with a refurb anyway!! haha!

6. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

For the amount of people on this forum who buy, return, then buy again because they are incapable of actually making up their mind and then getting on with life, yes, I would say replacements are refurbs.

I held one and then the other and my mind was made up. END OF STORY.

And if I do change my mind and go with a 5s, I will do it BEFORE I purchase the 6, not after.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Doubt it's returns. Hasn't even been a week since it was launched.

8. LostMyiPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

I just wonder if they have the capacity to get a return (1-2 days shipping), process and refurbish it (presumably 2-3 days) and then redistribute it to the distribution center (1-2 days)... that's like 7 days and that's about all it's been since launch.

I bet they WILL have a lot of refurb units due to the returns -- but again I'd guess those to be 6 plus units more so than 6 and I wouldn't think they'd hit for a few weeks after launch.

I did get an email with the serial number of the new device that they're shipping me and I wonder if there's a way to tell based on that. I plugged it in on apple's site and it said "you have to activate the device to see what warranty options exist" type of message... for whatever that's worth.

9. mlw4411 macrumors member

I returned a 6 plus and asked the guy if they would just sell it to someone waiting in the long line. It wasn't hurt, still in the plastic wrap, he said nope it goes back and is used as a refurb.

10. ahkahn macrumors newbie

I received the iPhone 4 the day of launch via UPS. I immediately noticed a battery issue (drained completely in 25 minutes) and took it into an Apple store the next day. They swapped out the phone without any question, and I asked them how they had refurbs so quickly after a launch. The "Genius" told me that Apple sends them "refurbs" in white boxes immediately upon launch that are not for retail sale, but only for swaps. They are typically ones that fail the initial round of QC testing at the factory and need a little TLC before they pass the tests (boards swapped, etc).

11. LostMyiPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, very interesting! I notice that the serial number on the refurb that they're sending me is very different than the one that I've currently got... and it's also coming from Arizona rather than Tennessee