do you think AT&T will kill the unlimited plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x-evil-x, May 20, 2012.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

to follow with verizon? Its still speculation with verizon right now but nothing has been said about AT&T. Would it be possible to buy a cheap 4g phone if they where to do that just to get the plan before they do this to keep the unlimited. Then swap the sim for the new iphone?

2. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Cellular providers play a game of monkey see monkey do. It's not a question if AT&T kills grand fathered unlimited data plans but when. The writing is on the wall.

I would wait until AT&T announces before moving your grand fathered unlimited 3G data plan over to an unlimited LTE data plan.

3. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Which will be great for Sprint if and when AT&T kills it alot of people may jump to Sprint.I wouldn't mind tiered data if it wasn't ridiculously priced.They complain and say they cant handle the traffic use wifi but are landline internet is capped as well

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

Verizon is only ending grandfathered unlimited for those who choose to use the subsidy upgrade.

I will assume AT&T will do the same or similar thing. Just don't upgrade and you will be fine.

Anyways. AT&T doesn't offer true unlimited like Verizon does with their LTE unlimited. Verizon throttles 3G. AT&T throttles both LTE and 3G/fake 4G. 5GB/3GB respectively.

But because of the spectrum deal they struck with the FCC to get the spectrum for LTE many years ago. Verizon agree not to mess with people on LTE data plan. So I can sim swap between my LTE phone into an LTE iPad with Verizon and Verizon won't disable my data like AT&T would if I switched from iPhone to AT&T iPad.

5. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

After that big thing with one of att's ceos saying that was his biggest regret was offering unlimited data i think it might stay with the 4g phones. I mean the 4g iPhone because you can upgrade to a 4g phone now and the data package transfers correct?

6. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Did you know how bad Sprints 3G speeds are? Just to open a website takes a long time. Without exaggerating, it's just as bad as throttled AT&T data. Sure there are places you can probably get 2mps if you're lucky but thats not the case in the majority of Sprint territory. Sure you're getting unlimited with Sprint but at what cost? Who knows if they are even going to offer the same when their LTE network goes online. Sprint is not an option by a long shot.

7. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Or could you buy an att phone and take out the sim and say you lost it then return the phone in the 14 day time period. Keep the sim and use it on the new phone. No idea if that would work just thought it might.

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

When I got my unlimited plan from AT&T I knew that it would not last forever. Actually it has lasted longer than I thought it would. But I figured I'd ride this pony to the bitter end, and surprisingly I think it will go on for a while yet.

To plagerize another quote:

They can have my unlimited plan when they pry it from my cold dead iPhone. :D

9. raychelabcdefg macrumors newbie

Am I the only one who doesn't get slow speeds when using Sprint? I have never had an issue no matter where I use it.

10. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Well, considering that AT&T throttles unlimited data speeds after 3 GB of usage for the billing cycle, they basically already have killed unlimited data. I still have mine, holding out some ridiculous hope that it will once again mean something. :(

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

^
    Yea
    If AT&T didn't throttle u at 3GB, then yeah.. Since they throttle now, there is no point of removing it.

12. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

They said they won't throttle lte on unlimited till it reaches 5gb. I'm happy with 5 a month.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

5GB @ 30 bucks ain't that bad.

14. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

15. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Yes, they will kill it. Sprint will eventually as well.

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

17. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

is that what plans are right now?

18. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Thats a misconception my whole family has sprint its not bad plus they also stated they will be keeping unlimited even if the next iPhone is LTE

----------

Its 5GB for 50

----------

Metro PCS is worse then anything when the network gets congested it just stops texts wont go through data will just stop theres a reason their so cheap

----------

Metro PCS is worse then anything when the network gets congested it just stops texts wont go through data will just stop theres a reason their so cheap

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think the unlimited plan will kill itself; at some point AT&T will start offering LTE plans for iPhone (when such a phone exists) and users will lose their unlimited 3G plans when they upgrade to LTE plans (and I don't suspect there will be an unlimited option).

20. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It is all part of the grand scheme of things, they are going against the device subsidy, just like what T-Mobile was complaining about.

21. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

I highly doubt AT&T would kill the subsidy its what keeps the iPhone locked to them so they get lucrative international roaming monies

22. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

They will kill it in my opinion, in similar fashion that Verizon will. As someone else earlier said, I wish they had better prices. Especially for phones that are bought off contract. They aren't trying to recoup the price of the phone since the consumer bought it outright. I'd be willing to be an off-contract iPhone with Pay As You Go data. Something reasonable for both parties, even something like 1gb for $10. I know that's steep to some. But to pay for data I actually use I'd actually be saving money. I rarely go over 1GB a month. And unlimited text message is just ridiculous for $20.