Do you think FaceID will be 1 hit wonder?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Sep 18, 2017.

1. oplix Suspended

oplix

I think there is a lot of reason to speculate that FaceID will be completely replaced with an actual solution that Apple initially tried to implement which was TouchID embedded into the screen. I think they are testing the market for $1000 phone and are paying a high margin on the FaceID camera array. So I think their plan will be to replace it as soon as possible with technology that will give them a higher profit margin which TouchID in the screen certainly would.

This means that the iPhone X2 will remove the notch completely and I think Apple will find an innovative new way to integrate the front facing camera while retaining the entire front as glass.

So the next iPhone X will have a uniform screen.

Just my thought.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think Face ID will have some who really like it and those who may give it a chance, and then revert back to touch ID on a previous iPhone if it's not for them. But that's how technology is, some will like it and others will not. But the adaption phase will take some time.

3. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I think face ID is here to stay, regardless of how good or bad it is. Even if it isn't perfect now it will get better over time. It's already on most of the android flagship devices, albeit in a different implementation. Now that Apple are using it it will only grow in adoption.

4. bounce08 macrumors member

It would be a very un-Apple thing to do for them to remove key features so soon after introducing them as improvements as they have done with Face ID.

They have invested a lot of time, money and marketing in it, and boasting about how it is more secure than Touch ID.

Very little chance they'll get rid of it next year. At best, they will keep it and also add Touch ID under the glass at the same time, but they definitely won't get rid of it unless there is a major scandal.

5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Can people stop talking about Touch ID under the screen? It’s not coming back.

“Apple made this decision well over a year ago. Perhaps the fundamental goal of iPhone X was to get as close as they could to an edge-to-edge display. No chin whatsoever. There were, of course, early attempts to embed a Touch ID sensor under the display as a Plan B. But Apple became convinced that Face ID was the way to go over a year ago.” (https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations)

As for the notch, it’s also not going away. It’s the easiest way to distinguish an iPhone from the competition, it definitely wasn’t an afterthought.