Do you think I am in the right here or not

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by basketball762, Jun 6, 2009.

1. basketball762 macrumors regular

This is kind of a pissed off review of paypal/asking you if you think I am right or if the funds should of been reversed, heres the story:
    Okay, so two weeks ago (around the end of May) I sold my World of Warcraft account for the SECOND time. I sold it for $250. Because I sold it one other time and I did get scammed I took precautions here. I asked for the money first and then I would give him all the account info (account name, account password, secret question and answer). He did give me the money and I saw it on paypal that I received the money. I then gave him ALL the account information. I made sure everything was good with the account for him and then I had to go. I came back an hour later to see that my money was put on hold. This was not my first time using paypal so I was use to this. They then sent me an email that said the money would be released. Immediately after that email they told me they were going to investigate this. Now, this I was not use to. They asked me some info about the thing I sold him and everything. Then the status changed to awaiting other party's response. So I waited two to three days to see if he would respond. He didn't. I then contacted paypal telling them my situation. They told me why they were holding the money and they told me to try to contact the buyer. I contacted the buyer the same way I communicated with him the first time, MSN. I had suspicion that he blocked me so I created a new MSN account. After this I added him and he came online. I immediately contact him asking him to respond to the paypal dispute but, just like always he blocked me. So I waited a week to see if anything happened. I then shot another email to paypal telling them that it would be impossible to get my account back. They told me they added that information to the dispute and to be patient. So I waited another week. And now they completed the investigation and they reversed the payment. $250 USD! All of it. They didn't tell me a clear answer why they did reverse the payment.
    They just pretty much gave the money back to him. Well, now the buyer or scammer has my World of Warcraft account that is like worth $300. There is NO way to get the account back, I tried but it didn't work. So now I lost $250 and the buyer does have my account. Now when paypal did respond to me the first time they gave me a couple reasons why they would put a dispute on a payment. One of the ones was like him stealing the paypal account and using it to pay for this. Well I would understand that, the originally owner sees that there is that charge on his credit card and he doesn't want that. But come on, I lost all of that money. I wouldn't be as nearly as mad if I didn't give the information to the account but because I did, I lost the money. Well that was just my quick problem with paypal and what do you think.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

paragraphs please

im not gonna read a continous block like that lol. too hard to read

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Paypal stinks for the most part. I've had trouble with them too.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Sorry about your loss. You should cash the money first, or find a different way to get the money. :(

5. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

Never would I have thought I'd see the day where people are scamming others for a f***ing WOW account.. Espescially since it lost it's spot in the limelight.. besides isnt the fun in building up your character?

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wait, your account is worth like 300, but you sold it for 250 :p

Are you even allowed to sell wow of warcraft accounts?

Either way, bummer...

7. basketball762 thread starter macrumors regular

No your not allowed to sell accounts through world of warcraft. Kind of the reason why I can't get it back.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Couldn't you claim that someone hacked your account and prove original ownership with credit card details, etc?

9. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Unfortunately it doesn't matter if you're right or not, you're not getting your money back. You're not alone in this; one quick check of the (UK) eBay forums will reveal that sellers get short shift from PayPal on a regular occurrence. Basically, you can fight tooth and nail but you're not getting it back - they'll simply ignore you by closing the dispute and not allowing you to reopen one with the same transaction number.

As I always say in these eBay/PayPal threads that pop up from time to time, the first (and only) time my credit card was cloned the first question the bank asked was 'have you ever used it on PayPal?' and he then implied that's where the details were most likely to have been taken from, by their own employees. Downfalls of outsourcing I suppose.

I don't know about eBay US, but eBay UK and PayPal are awful companies. I know a lot of solicitors who are quite excited about eBay's latest policy changes, because they think it means they owe the buyer a duty of care and therefore can be sued (eBay maintains they're only 'a venue', but then dig around in every aspect of the contract between you and the buyer). About time.

AppleMatt
    (the Australian and French courts have already dealt them heavy blows)

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

A few things:

(1) I think the proper target for your anger should be the person to whom you emailed your account information, not PayPal.

(2) I don't see that you "lost $250." I see that you lost a game account.

(3) Maybe it's just me, but you never really described in your post why PayPal withheld then reversed payment. Sounded a little fishy to me....

...now I understand why.

Not that the guy who scammed you was right, but it's hard for me to see PayPal as the bad guy in this.

Seriously, you lost a login and password, not $250. I've played online games as well, and you start to think of an account as being a material thing you've "lost." The reality is you paid a monthly fee for a time to play a game. Now you're not playing that account anymore, and presumably you're not paying for that account anymore.

I'm sorry you got taken for a ride, but this isn't PayPal's fault, IMO.

11. Keebler macrumors 68030

you're in the wrong unfortunately.

you're biggest mistake was wanting that money so bad.

if it had been me (especially since you've been scammed before), I would have waited until that money cleared and taken it out of the account before emailing anything (and letting that buyer know ahead of time).

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You weren't supposed to sell it in the first place. :rolleyes:

13. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

I don't think i understand why you wouldn't be in the right. No offense man (and i know it sucks because you got played) but i think that you just wanted someone to listen to your story.

If its over there's nothing you can do, AND its not like you tried to sell a physical copy of the game and he didn't pay. All you were selling is invested time in playing a game you obviously liked and had fun with.

You got screwed out of 250, but i don't think you had any right to sell it anyways...

I think the moral of the story is that you need to be more cautious when selling things, and be glad it wasn't something you can't get back.

14. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

This is kind of an iffy situation since you were selling something "illegal" to begin with. But the principle of the situation says you are in the right. In the end it doesn't matter what you sell (there is no objection to this, I don't care if he is selling a barbie doll, I don't care if he is selling a mailing list). It's only relative to what you think it is worth. Some people say it was just a login and some stats - but that is obviously something you can sell, if you can sell digital music, you can sell a digital account. Just because he is selling one doesn't just make him wrong in the end.

For the people who can't wrap their mind around someone being able to sell their World of Warcraft account, let's re-write what he said just so it makes more sense, as some people are too narrow minded to understand the given situation. This was taken from an experience I had with Paypal as well...

"So I had this Blackberry Curve that I sold to this guy on eBay for 250.00. I saw the payment come up through Paypal and noted the funds were held - which is NOW becoming the norm. I sent the Blackberry out and waited for him to release the funds. Three weeks go by and my funds have not been released, so I made a note to Paypal to get this taken care of.

They then contacted me - which is weird of them, I know, because they never contact anyone back - and tell me the funds are on hold due to investigation. I see the status is waiting for the buyer to respond. He responds saying he didn't receive the item - even though Fed-Ex says it was delivered (no signature confirmation).

I contact the buyer on MSN and nothing happens, he is ignoring me. I make a new account through MSN and add him. He comes online and I start talking to him and he ignores and then blocks me. As of now they have refunded the money to him and I am out my Blackberry phone that was worth 300.00 with the add-ons. This really ticks me off."

Now that is a bad situation and you can tell who is in the right, it is iffy without some sort of delivery confirmation but the fact Paypal ignored that is some sort of statement to whose side they are on.

Now you know what makes this situation worse? 1 Month later the guy was selling the same damn Blackberry, I contacted eBay and Paypal but they said I don't have enough to prove it, even though he had the same phone with the same accessories as I did and the same worn skin that I put on it. Even with legitimate cause they didn't care enough to even look into it. That was the last straw for me.

F^%$ eBay and Paypal!

EDIT- /rant. BTW, that story in the quotes is his backstory with what happened to me. He's in the right, no question about it.

15. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Sorry OP, but I would have to agree with the post referenced above. Fool me once shame on me; twice...well that's a you problem. Truth be told I would've had the buyer send a money order and cash it. You NEVER give out anything until the cash is in hand [or your own personal account]. Hopefully this is a hard lesson learned.

16. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Almost all the time that you sell virtual goods, you're going to get screwed. The reason? Anyone can use a stolen credit card. With real stuff, the item has to be shipped somewhere and leaves a paper trail and a large possibility of getting caught; so credit card is less prevalent. With virtual goods, there is no trail so you get mostly stolen credit cards being used.

17. wlh99 macrumors 6502

It is against the TOS with blizzard for you to sell your account. The account belongs to blizzard, and you license it from them, thus you can't sell it. Same is true for items you may aquire in the game. As such, Paypal can not uphold the sale, if they did they would have to answer to Blizzard.

Is that account attached to your credit card for automatic processing each month?

18. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Is this the George Bush version of this proverb or am I missing something...? :p

19. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209